My first beer can chicken

PaulyT

Going simple tonight, trying my first beer can chicken ever.

Starting out, brined for 3 hrs in sea salt with a tiny bit of BP pepper garlic salt added. Half a can of beer with a shot of tequila.

DSC0963-L.jpg

Rubbed with EVOO, butter, and BP Money.

DSC0964-L.jpg

On the grill @ 325 with bbq delight mesquite pellets.

DSC0965-L.jpg

Done, about 2 hours later:

DSC0967-L.jpg

Sorry, my carving skills suck, my knife's not great, and this chicken was so tender it was hard to cut without it just falling apart.

DSC0969-L.jpg

Verdict: yummy! The skin and dark meat were fantastic. The breast was a tiny bit on the dry side, probably coulda pulled it a little earlier, but it was still tender; I'm not a huge fan of chicken white meat anyway so I'm not the best judge. My cat loved it. ;) I didn't even make it to the table, just sat at the counter and ate. Kids got their drumsticks, wife got her mixed plate - everyone was happy.

So, nothing ground-breaking here, just simple good chicken. Definitely a step above your usual store roasted whole chickens, at least!

sparky

your chicken looks great. i use money on chicken all the time. its great on chicken and shrimp.

Moomtaz

It may be simple, but I have never tried to do one myself. Don't know why because I've always heard positive reviews. And it's so cool to include beer cans in cooking!!

Big Poppa

Administrator
This is one of the biggest arguments in bbq....The beer actually does nothing to the chicken it is vertical roasting that is the key

PaulyT

I was kinda wondering about that... I figured it was more for moisture than beer (or even tequila) flavor per se.

muebe

This is one of the biggest arguments in bbq....The beer actually does nothing to the chicken it is vertical roasting that is the key

Yes this does get debated quite a bit BP. These are some of the things I do to promote a reason for the beer in beer can chicken...

First I empty the beer into a sauce pan and make sure the grill is pre-heated & chicken is seasoned, completely thawed, and ready to go in.

Then add some spices and aromatics to the beer for flavor.

Bring the beer to a boil.

Then quickly pour the heated beer back into the can until it is 1/2 to 3/4 full.

Put the chicken on the beer and then into the grill.

Place the chicken right above your hot spot on the grill(above the firepot)

And use a temp between 325F to 350F

Take it to a internal temp of 165F at the breast

You can crank it up for a few minutes at the end to help crisp the skin ;)

Moomtaz

I didn't think that the beer can was supposed to be full. I assumed the empty can was only there to create a cavity in the center to allow for proper heat induction. I guess I may have been wrong in my assumption. Any other thoughts?

Top Bottom