Yoder YS640 starting to disappoint me...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajstrider

I replaced my Traeger Texas Grill with a Yoder YS640, thinking it was an upgrade. While the construction of the Yoder is far superior and it looks way cooler, it is starting to disappoint me during cookouts. It doesn't put as much smoke flavor into the meat as I would like, which is ok, I have an Amaz N Tube Smoker, however I can't keep the tube smoker going in the Yoder, I have moved it around everywhere but it seem to just keep snuffing out on me. I know how to light the tube smoker and used it many times on the Traeger but it just doesn't seem to want to cooperate on the Yoder. At this point I am kind of regretting upgrading at this point. I am not sure what my next move is. The Traeger would produce amazing food with the tube smoker, and I figured the Yoder would do even better. One thing I thought I liked on the Yoder better was the position of the fire pot, but I am beginning to think the center fire pot on the Traeger is better, it produced a better air and thus smoke flow through the grill.

Tatonka3A2

Strange?? We use our tube in the Yoder all the time and never have had a problem with it going out. Is your top vent all the way open?

Meat Man

What update are you running, you may need the latest update, which I think was at least U23. There was also fan issues. Give them a call.

Amazen1

Not sure what the issue is....
Every smoker has a learning curve and I'm sure the Yoder has some getting used to.

How long ago did you get it?

TJ

ajstrider

I have the Yoder about a month and a half now, bought straight from Yoder. How am I suppose to tell what update I am running, I would think it is up to date since I bought it from them? I am using BBQer's Delight Apple pellets.

SmokinSteiny

You should really e-mail Don Cary at [email protected] He's really good for information and he e-mails at all hours it seems. It really doesn't sound like the problem you are experiencing is a problem with your smoker..... Not to be rude or anything but it sounds more like an operator error issue...... Please give Don an e-mail if you really think it's your smoker him and his team would be the best to help you....

MossyMO

When you start the Yoder the firmware that is in your Yoder will be on the the display panel and read "U23" or what ever was installed before you purchased it.

I am still curious what wood flavor of pellets are you having a problem keeping lit in your Yoder?

muebe

How are you starting the pellets in the tube smoker?

You need to get them fully lit before turning on the Yoder or the fan will snuff them out. I use a small torch I got from harbor freight. Let them ignite for about 5 minutes on the end and then blow it out. No problem ;)

IMAG2301.jpg

IMAG2302.jpg

IMAG2303.jpg

Smoked for 5 hours straight!

IMAG2307.jpg

Big Poppa

Administrator
guys lets not violate one of the only rules here....Steiny its really not fair to accuse him of operator error...nobody knows without seeing it. That is the hardest part of internet diagnosis.....Yoder has customer service...best to let them handle the issue.

Moomtaz

Haven't had any lack of smoke problems on my yoder. In fact, best flavor and smoke rings I have ever experienced on a smoker... A tip I picked up from many MAK users is to start any cook for an hour at about 180 degrees. The lower the temp on your pellet grill, the more smoke it produces. After an hour, up the temp to 225 or any other temp. I use this method and I don't have any problems with smoke. Also keep in mind that apple produces a mild smoke flavor, try hickory for a stronger flavor.

ajstrider

Accusing me of operator error is fine, I am just trying to get this thing going! I do the same thing with my tube smoker, ignite it with a butane torch for about a minute, then let it burn for another 5 or so, blow it out, then the shut the door on the grill and let the whole thing warm up. It is definitely an oxygen issue with the tube smoker, whenever i open up the door, it starts to do its thing again and I get some more smoke for a while after I shut the door, then it snuffs out. I will check the firmware number this afternoon.

muebe

Accusing me of operator error is fine, I am just trying to get this thing going! I do the same thing with my tube smoker, ignite it with a butane torch for about a minute, then let it burn for another 5 or so, blow it out, then the shut the door on the grill and let the whole thing warm up. It is definitely an oxygen issue with the tube smoker, whenever i open up the door, it starts to do its thing again and I get some more smoke for a while after I shut the door, then it snuffs out. I will check the firmware number this afternoon.

It only goes out when the fan is running correct? Lid closed with no fan and it will continue to smoke?

If so then you will need to find the spot on the grill with the least air movement. Maybe Tanya can post a pic of where abouts on the grill she puts it and you can try that.

And also you can try using some different pellets. Could be those have too much moisture content or because of the type of wood are not burning well enough in the tube. I use Bear Mountain in mine and they are not 100% hardwood so maybe that makes a difference...

Big Poppa

Administrator
Once again..nobody has the same grill..can we take this to yoder? I dont have any experience with it so I dont want to give advice.

Tatonka3A2

I don't believe it is a Yoder problem at all.... it is a problem getting the Tube to stay light in the grill. Same type of discussion a couple weeks ago was on here with the same thing - someone not being able to keep it lit in a MAK. It is all in the placement and the "right spot" for your grill or smoker.

When I light the tube I make sure there is flames going for a couple of mins before I blow it out. I also let it sit in the grill and smoke before I shut the lid. This way I can watch it and be sure it is smoking good before closing the lid. We have placed it just about everywhere on grill and have had no problems. The majority of the time we have it on the very far left (above the firepot) with the open end facing us. Like Muebe said, moisture is the worst enemy of a pellet - they need to be stored in an airtight container. Try using a different flavor or something from a different container and see if you are still having an issue. They easiest burning pellet we have noticed is Oak. Feel free to PM me if you want to take it offline - we will get you burning!! :cool:

Last edited:

Big Poppa

Administrator
Strange?? We use our tube in the Yoder all the time and never have had a problem with it going out. Is your top vent all the way open?

Please please please.....Can we take this to Yoder...he does not have the model you have...All of you are well meaning and some a little defensive...It could be placement...it could be something wrong...only Yoder can tell him.

Internet diagnosis is a great thing if we all have experience with what he is experiencing...He has been told that he needs to adjust something he doesnt have,needs to change pellet brands, needs to change flavors, and that it is his fault....I cannot speak for Yoder but I know that they have a full support staff and would probably prefer to solve this rather than a public internet discussion. Please dont make me close a thread I hate to do that. One question for all who are giving advice...wonder if there is an issue and you guys are telling him there isnt?

muebe

BP it could be a Yoder issue. But it is always good to go over the basics before calling cust service that way when you call you have information you can give them. Can be helpful to narrow down the problem.

A lot of experienced people here that are willing to give great advice.

But I will respect the fact you do not want this forum to be a replacement for customer service and direct him to call Yoder for advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom