Amazing Tube Smoker location...

ajstrider

I watched every video I could find on the Amazing Tube Smoker before I ended up purchasing one, and everyone seems to put their smoker on the grill grates. I wasn't getting very good smoke dispersion when I did this, so on my last cook I actually lit the Tube Smoker underneath the heat shield. Once it was burning good, I fired up the grill and put the internals back inside. Wow, awesome smoke dispersion through the smoker. I haven't seen or heard of anyone doing this, but it works great and can't believe I am the first person to think of this.

TentHunter

...everyone seems to put their (tube) smoker on the grill grates. I wasn't getting very good smoke dispersion when I did this

I didn't get good results on top of the grill grates either. For some grills it works, for others not so much. Your placement info could prove very useful to other Yoder users.

In my MAK 1 Star I place it under the grates as discussed here: http://www.pelletsmoking.com/pelletsmoking-com-gallery-10/maze-n-tube-smoking-4987/

In my Stoven/Weber combo I place in under the heat shield next to the fire pot on the bottom grate, much like you describe in your Yoder.

The trick is experimenting. just like you did, to find the sweet spot.

Cliff

scooter

If it goes out in the early stages of the cook or you need to replenish it, you have to pull out the food, the grate and drip pan to relight or refill?

TentHunter

If it goes out in the early stages of the cook or you need to replenish it, you have to pull out the food, the grate and drip pan to relight or refill?

I just make just sure it's going well before placing the other stuff (heat shield, grate, food) in the pit, and place it in the locations I described so it gets air flow and doesn't smother out. With the 12" tube, so far I've not yet had to replenish it. I typically get 5 - 6 hours of smoke .

ajstrider

I also just make sure it is running good before I close it all up. I treat it like charcoal and want to get some white ash forming on the pellets before I start up the smoker. I also have never had to replenish my pellets, by the time I run out of smoke, I am past the 140 to 150F mark and am generally wrapped in foil.

Top Bottom