Old Fashioned Dutch Loaf - Luncheon Meat

TentHunter

I've been wanting to make this for quite a while. You guys have seen it in the deli: Old Fashioned Loaf, Spiced Luncheon Loaf, around here it's called Dutch Loaf. I love it, but the stuff in the deli is just too dang salty for my taste & tummy, not to mention my blood pressure.

After searching high & low & finally locating a few recipes, I combined a couple to come up with a lower-salt version.

Lower-Salt Old Fashioned Dutch Loaf

3 lbs Ground Pork
2 lbs Ground Beef

1 tsp Curing Salt #1 (Instacure #1, Prague powder #1)
3 3/4 tsp Pickling Salt (non-iodized table salt will work)
1/4 cup Sugar
2 TBS Onion Powder
1 1/2 tsp. ground Black or White Pepper (I like a course grind)
1 1/2 tsp. ground Coriander
1 1/2 tsp ground Celery Seed (I had to grind celery seed in my spice grinder)
1 1/2 tsp ground Nutmeg

5 oz. Cold Water

Start by thoroughly mixing the ground pork & beef.
OFDL01.JPG

The seasoning mix:
OFDL02.JPG

Mix the seasonings with the water and pour evenly over the meat. Mix thoroughly until the meat is a uniform color.
OFDL03.JPG

Fill a loaf pan with the meat mixture, mounding it on top to form a loaf. Smoke at hot smoke temps (165° - 185°) until an internal temp of 152° is reached. Don't rush with a higher temp or the fat will melt out!
OFDL04.JPG

After cooling a bit, chill overnight in the fridge.

Before slicing, quickly rinse the fat off with hot-water, followed by cold water, and pat dry. Tip: If the loaf sticks to the pan, carefully run hot water over the pan to help release it.
OFDL05.JPG

Ready to slice!
OFDL06.JPG

Sliced and ready for some sammies!
OFDL07.JPG

Oh yes, the first bite made me very happy with the results! The salt level is just right; a subtle undertone that lets the other flavors come through nicely. Even my daughter, who doesn't like store bought Dutch Loaf, came home the next day and asked if she could make a sandwich with some. :)

Thanks for sneaking a peek.

Cliff

Last edited:

muebe

After it was finished it looked like a loaf of bread! How cool is that!

I'll take a sandwich please with extra miracle whip ;)

KyNola

That looks delicious!

Would I be asking too much if I asked you to post the specific measurements for the spices? I would love to make this.

SmokinSteiny

I've never had this or even believe I've seen it, but I'm really interested in trying it! Looks Great! I'm right there with KyNola, if ya don't mind sharing that is...... :)

Tatonka3A2

That looks great - can't say I have ever seen that in the deli's here but I guess I have never looked for it either. I think I may have to put this on the "to try" list. Great post!!

TentHunter

That looks delicious!

Would I be asking too much if I asked you to post the specific measurements for the spices? I would love to make this.

Not at all! I'll add it to the original post as well. :)

I think this is from Rytek's book...

You are close. I ended up using the recipe in his book, as well as one from the University of Georgia's Cooperative Extension website, as references to come up with my own modified lower-salt, NO Glutamate added recipe.

Note: The recipe in Rytek's book calls for both non-fat dry milk and soy protein concentrate to be used as binders. I can't use either because they both add L-Glutamates.

Lower-Salt Old Fashioned Dutch Loaf

3 lbs Ground Pork
2 lbs Ground Beef

1 tsp Curing Salt #1 (Instacure #1, Prague powder #1)
3 3/4 tsp Pickling Salt (non-iodized table salt will work)
1/4 cup Sugar
2 TBS Onion Powder
1 1/2 tsp. ground Black or White Pepper (I like a course grind)
1 1/2 tsp. ground Coriander
1 1/2 tsp ground Celery Seed (I had to grind celery seed in my spice grinder)
1 1/2 tsp ground Nutmeg

5 oz. Cold Water

This really turned out even better than I'd hoped. I couldn't wait to get home from Church today to make myself a sandwich!

Last edited:

Patrick_CT

This looked really good. I will have to make a smaller version since I think my dad and I would love it but not many other people in the family.

Top Bottom