Blaz'n Grill Works pellet grill

yzerstone

OK I cannot afford right now a MAK which would be my choice of pellet grill. Came across the newer Blaz'n Grill and am lookin for feedback. Reminds me a lot of a Yoder with some little differences. The grates are different but to be honet kind of make me hesitant as they seem a little gimmicky. So tell me all, what do you think?

Link removed. See Rules of the Road please.
PS.com Moderating staff

Last edited by a moderator:

jimsbarbecue

Little known fact is I got to cook on a Blaz'n Grill for a few weeks. It is a nice unit that uses a ortech style controller.
American made and a nice unit that cooks just fine. I also own a Traeger Jr. Grill
I would still buy a MAK Grill even with the added cost. The one star with a extra rack would have close to the same cooking area.
The extra features the Pellet Boss brings would be what makes the difference for me.
Three plugs for meat probes
Programmable cooks
Pellet boss remote capable
Food temp alarms
Coming soon WiFi and iPhone app

The MAK company has tried to MAKe your purchase as future proof as possible. The software in the Pellet Boss has the ability to be upgraded by the end user (easy)
Items like the full size flame zone I was able to add to our MAK Grills. Most company would have you buy the NEW model to get these features.
As Muebe posted save a little longer and get what you want and deserve.

Big Poppa

Administrator
the feature I like on the Blazn is the slide out fire pot for cleaning.

I don' t like the ortech controls.

HoDeDo

I'd hold out for what you want. The Blaz'n is alot thinner metal, lower quality than the other cookers. The bigger difference is the controller... This is one of a rash of pellet pits that came out as patents were expiring. When you are looking at pits like the MAK, Yoder, and even the Memphis... the controllers are more intelligent. The controller here is just a very basic unit. Using temp to turn feed on or off.... where as others are looking at temp deltas, feed rates, etc. lots of variables, and are "learning".

Also, some of these new companies that are popping up, are starting to go under already. I think it was "IPT" that hit the scene, and 9 mos later is already out of business. So beware of that also... With so many new pellets launched in the last 12-18 mos, it can be pretty daunting.

HoDeDo

the feature I like on the Blazn is the slide out fire pot for cleaning.

I don' t like the ortech controls.
The slide out firepot is pretty slick... not just for cleaning... but lighting. I'd do away with an ignitor, and light with a torch, and slide it in every cook. Usually the first thing you will have trouble with at some point is your ignitor. And I agree on the controller. Nothing special.

smokenovice

...............I would still buy a MAK Grill even with the added cost. The one star with a extra rack would have close to the same cooking area.
The extra features the Pellet Boss brings would be what makes the difference for me.
Three plugs for meat probes
Programmable cooks
Pellet boss remote capable
Food temp alarms
Coming soon WiFi and iPhone app

The MAK company has tried to MAKe your purchase as future proof as possible. The software in the Pellet Boss has the ability to be upgraded by the end user (easy)
Items like the full size flame zone I was able to add to our MAK Grills. Most company would have you buy the NEW model to get these features.
As Muebe posted save a little longer and get what you want and deserve.

+1 Consider the MAK if possible, they are extremely good pellet grills and a smokin' machine!!

ptpalms

I'd hold out for what you want. The Blaz'n is alot thinner metal, lower quality than the other cookers. The bigger difference is the controller... This is one of a rash of pellet pits that came out as patents were expiring. When you are looking at pits like the MAK, Yoder, and even the Memphis... the controllers are more intelligent. The controller here is just a very basic unit. Using temp to turn feed on or off.... where as others are looking at temp deltas, feed rates, etc. lots of variables, and are "learning".

Also, some of these new companies that are popping up, are starting to go under already. I think it was "IPT" that hit the scene, and 9 mos later is already out of business. So beware of that also... With so many new pellets launched in the last 12-18 mos, it can be pretty daunting.

THINNER? You have obviously not seen a Blazin Grill in person! These things are tanks! The only one I have seen that is heavier is the Yoder.

As far as the controller, yes, it is an Ortech 100, but it is in no way comparable to the Traeger controller. It is simple, and it does take some time to learn, but you have to learn your pit anyways...

The grates are special grade laser cut stainless. I have yet to see one warp.

I'd like to see somebody put 9 boston butts weighing 88lbs on a MAK, not happening. The Grid Iron has 702 sq inches of bottom space and 310 sq inches on its STANDARD top shelf for a total of 1012 sq inches of cooking space.

The removable fire pot is pretty slick. It's easy to clean and if there ever was a flame out, just pull it out, dump, replace, turn back on. No need to remove the food, grates, grease drip tray, & heat deflector, just to get it vac'd out and then put it all back together for a restart.

These are not low quality pits.

If you are gonna save up for a top of the line pit, then just keep saving and buy a Fast Eddy's by Cookshack...

Last edited:

ptpalms

Great someone with experience on the blazn.

Yepper, I have one Grid Iron at home, one at the lake, and have also cooked on the inlaw's Grand Slam.

My dealer is in KC, but they are built only about 1.5-2hrs away from me over in NE.

I was originally wanting a Country Smoker Whole Hog or an FEC, but I looked at the GMG, the IPT, and the Louisiana Grills at BBQ Bonanza in KCK. Bob had a Grid Iron there that he was cooking on as a demo unit.
I was thoroughly impressed and promptly went home and started researching all over again.
That was the end of that.
I got it the first of July and since, have ran over 500lbs of pellets through the one I have at home.
Yes, there are some improvements I would personally make, but nothing that detract from how well it is made or how it performs overall.

I also just got my very own FEC100 this weekend too, something I've wanted for a long long time. Now I don't have to borrow one of my neighbor's FEC's to do monster cooks!

If any body has any questions about the Blazin Grills, just ask. I'll give you both the good and the bad.

403379_10152231291635220_1770248568_n.jpg

296736_10152120261665220_1718675459_n.jpg

226136_10152050879220220_1278995552_n.jpg

318781_10151900508100220_275460182_n.jpg

ins1355

I am looking for information on the new pro series. Are there any owners who can provide any information on either size pro?

grill daddy

I have the blazn grid iron and I bought it in july of 15 and it has the new controller and it works great. I would say it is the best pellet grill I have owned and I have had traegers in the past not a pleasant story on the Chinese built ones. I owned a pit boss pellet grill good starter grill, but have to say the blazn grill holds temps firmly and consistant. Blazn Grills have a new controller and it adds the meat prob controller that shuts the temp down to 160 when meat hits desired temps. I would recommend this grill you anyone looking for a pellet grill

AlexF123

Grilling

I have the blazn grid iron and I bought it in july of 15 and it has the new controller and it works great. I would say it is the best pellet grill I have owned and I have had traegers in the past not a pleasant story on the Chinese built ones. I owned a pit boss pellet grill good starter grill, but have to say the blazn grill holds temps firmly and consistant. Blazn Grills have a new controller and it adds the meat prob controller that shuts the temp down to 160 when meat hits desired temps. I would recommend this grill you anyone looking for a pellet grill

Hello, have you tired any high temperature grilling. I just got GRid Iron couple weeks ago and low temperature smoking is great. When I tried grilling fish at 475, I had smoke coming from the bottom of the grill. While checking it out, I saw that bottom expanded, bubble like a foot in diameter on the bottom right side. Wondering if you had anything like that happen?

Thanks, Alex

Ok. I know this is an old post. A friend of mine is asking about this grill. I'm trying to talk him into a MAK but he still interested in this. I saw they have updated their controller. Anyone have any info good or bad I can relay to my friend? Thanks

TentHunter

Some things to consider in a MAK versus Blazn pricing:

1) MAK already includes shipping costs in their pricing. Blazn doesn't (as far as I know), so it's extra.

2) Most Blazn grill owners end up installing a third party downdraft baffle to keep temps more even across the grill, and to keep the smoke down at food level. This adds an extra $100 or so to the cost.

A MAK does not need a downdraft baffle.

Bigfish

I own a Blaz'n Grand Slam and am seeking information from those who have added a down draft to their Blaz'n Grills?

Thanks,

Ken

TentHunter

I have a friend who (unfortunately is not a member here) owns a Blazn Grid Iron, and installed the downdraft baffle. It greatly improved temps across the grill and smoke contact with the food.

On another note, he didn't like their original controller, upgraded to their "Pro Series" controller. He still wasn't happy and finally upgraded to a Savannah Stoker controller, and now loves the grill.

Their grills are otherwise a well built in the U.S.A. grill.

Top Bottom