Pulled Pork!

M in MAK

Hey guys! So this is a pulled pork I did a week or so ago. Each one weighed about 8 lbs.

I injected with a mixture of ground up Grill Creation seasoning salt, smoked paprika, garlic powder, apple juice, and hot water. Have never tried that mix before but it turned out great! I then lathered them with canola oil and a mix of MAK Sweet and Mesquite rub.

I set the MAK at 225* and set the Pellet Boss to alarm at an internal temperature of 160*. I then foiled both butts and poured in about ¾ cup of apple juice in each. I then set the PB to alarm at 195* IT and pulled them off. The whole process took about 13 hrs.

What is some of your favorite injection mixtures? I’d love to try something new!

IMG_7653Edited.jpeg

IMG_7654Edited.jpeg

Chili Head

I've never injected yet either but I've been thinking about trying it. Thanks for posting your recipe I'll have to give it a shot.

Big Poppa

Administrator
injections are great and limitless..from combos featuring white grape juice peach juice apple juice beer worcestershire soy chili powder onion powdersaly sugar pepper....get the drift...anything Peach snapple is great!

RickB

I have always been off the opinion that if you have a good piece of meat and it is cooked correctley you dont need it. But I think I will get out of the box and try injection. Great looking pork! The only thing I could suggest is to put a pan under the butts with some flavors and catch the drippings. Then defat and reduce. Then put that pork aujus back into the pork.

Last edited:

MAK DADDY

Injections are fun and give a variety of different flavor profiles, we use beer quite a bit as well as flavored bullion.
Nice job Matt!

cowdog

M, your pulled pork looks great. I use SOW to inject for pulled pork. I also pull at 160 to foil and add apple juice. Always comes out fantastic.

M in MAK

When you pulled them off at an IT of 195, how long did you let it rest or did you FTW for a few hours?

Thanks!

I Took them off and wrapped them in a damp towel. I then put them in a cooler for about two hours so that they would be ready for dinner time. :)

Thanks for the tip Scooter!!

jimsbarbecue

They look good on the screen. Pork Butt is the only thing I will inject. The one thing I did learn from Harry Soo is if injecting pork butt he uses a lot of it.

TentHunter

I tried injecting a long time ago, but the injection had a high acid contant so the pork came out mushy and turned me off. BUT...

MAK DADDY said:
... we use beer quite a bit...

Maybe it's the German in me, but that may be worth a try! :)

Top Bottom