Pulled pork internal temp?

Ducaticraig

Should I cook to 190 or 205? Whats the difference in texture? I have a 7lb pork shoulder no bone

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Big Poppa

Administrator
its all about feel...when the probe goes in like butter its done...I never pull hese days before 200..sometimes they are done at 195 go for the feel

Ducaticraig

Big Poppa & FL, thanks for the info. I will start cooking tonight and finish sometime tomorrow. I will shoot for 195 - 200 range. Is there a good temp to start the cook? I look to bump up the pit temp when the internal temp reaches 145/150. Don't want to be cooking all day.

Happy Holiday's to you and your families!

Big Poppa

Administrator
ducati then use foil I have a great video I just uploaded on pulled pork...big poppa smokers bptv outdoor cooking videos

Ducaticraig

I'll check out the video before I start the grill. Thanks in advance for the video.

scooter

Craig, Harry Soo (Took 3rd place in King of the Smoker) has published a fantastic pulled pork instruction from start to finish, all recipes included! injection, foil wrapping liquid, finishing sauce, it's all there! Recipes to all of it plus step by step cooking instructions. He really gave up the goods with this one! Some of the cooking instructions you won't be able to use because they're for a WSM but you can easily adapt for a pellet cooker.
I've tried Harry's pork instructions and can say it's some of the best pork I've done and is now my standard pork process.

Slap Yo Daddy Bone-In Pork Butt | Slap Yo' Daddy BBQ

scooter

Craig, when pork is "finished" will be something you determine for yourself after cooking many of them. At 195 pork is more moist but less tender than at 208. At 208 pork is more tender but less moist than it is at 195. Somewhere in between those 2 temps will yield what you consider to be the best pork.
We all have a favorite temp or "feel" to tell us when pork is cooked to our liking but you will make your own determination of when pork is "finished" after cooking many pork butt experiments. :)

BTW, the above also holds true for brisket.

Big_Jake

Craig, Harry Soo (Took 3rd place in King of the Smoker) has published a fantastic pulled pork instruction from start to finish, all recipes included! injection, foil wrapping liquid, finishing sauce, it's all there! Recipes to all of it plus step by step cooking instructions. He really gave up the goods with this one! Some of the cooking instructions you won't be able to use because they're for a WSM but you can easily adapt for a pellet cooker.
I've tried Harry's pork instructions and can say it's some of the best pork I've done and is now my standard pork process.

Slap Yo Daddy Bone-In Pork Butt | Slap Yo' Daddy BBQ

Scooter,I am making a pork butt for NYE and I think I may try this.I even have a WSM and might try it on there. :D

flavorguy

Scooter....

This recipe looks fantastic...

Do you agree with the 250'F temperature? I've always smoked shoulder at 220-230'F, but I've also pulled out my hair a few times waiting for the shoulder to finish....

scooter

This recipe looks fantastic...

Do you agree with the 250'F temperature? I've always smoked shoulder at 220-230'F, but I've also pulled out my hair a few times waiting for the shoulder to finish....

Yes, 250 works well for the big meats like pork and brisket. Quite a few comp cooks cook well hotter than 250.

Last edited:
Top Bottom