Mak 1 or Mak 2 ??

iwnly

Hi Folks

First time poster. I am looking to purchase either the Mak 1 or Mak 2.
any noticables differences between the two ?
Does one smoke better than the other and same with grilling.
I have seen on other forums that the Cookshack FG500 or 1000 does a great job on the grilling end.
What can I expect from the Mak. I have seen the FG500 in person but I have yet to see a Mak
--Thanks

TentHunter

If you can afford the price difference get the 2 Star General, which has more features:

- Pellet Dump Door (makes changing pellets very easy)
- Cold Smoking chamber (on side)
- FlameZone Drip Pan included
- Slightly bigger grilling area
- Stainless steel lid & cooking chamber

The MAK 1 Star is designed to get you into a high quality MAK and then be able to add features later as budget allows.

Both grills are more than capable of handling grilling just fine.

These steaks had a wet mustard coating on them and still grilled up nicely on my MAK 1 Star.
SS%2526S08.JPG

Others will chime in as well! :)

Pappymn

2 star for me was the way to go. But I do not use it for grilling right now, but will be trying again. Best cooker with the best support. Just a great product. Either one will do you well.

iwnly

If you can afford the price difference get the 2 Star General, which has more features:

The MAK 1 Star is designed to get you into a high quality MAK and then be able to add features later as budget allows.

These steaks had a wet mustard coating on them and still grilled up nicely on my MAK 1 Star.
SS%2526S08.JPG

Very nice steaks !
I read on another forum that the Mak 1 actually was better at smoking than the Mak 2 ?
does the " full flame zone " work that good..side to side..front to back ?

iwnly

I am currently using a ceramic cooker and I love the " strong " wood / charcoal flavor.
What concerns me is all the ' no smoke flavor" comments in regards to all pellet cookers

JD McGee

I am currently using a ceramic cooker and I love the " strong " wood / charcoal flavor.
What concerns me is all the ' no smoke flavor" comments in regards to all pellet cookers

I was skeptical as well at first...I had heard horror stories about pellet smokers not producing enough smoke. I can now honestly say the MAK is not one of them...when used with BBQ'r Delight Pellets the smoke is clean and abundant...no "funky" smells at all! But what sets the MAK apart from all the others is the Pellet Boss...just program it...then fuggitaboutit! Lol!
Cheers!
JD
Ps...go with the 2 Star...:D

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Big Poppa

Administrator
You have more cool accessories with the 2 star as you grow....

The one star smokes more but the two star is not short in the smoke department especially with the programability

Big_Jake

I have had a few offset smokers and 2 different WSM's.I have also had 3 different pellet smokers and the MAK producers more than enough smoke. ;)

iwnly

SS%2526S08.JPG

The ONLY other question I have is on the full Length "Flame Zone" .
I am having a hard time picturing this flame zone to have even heat " left to right " and " front to back ".
Looking at these steaks the far right looks more " charred " than on the left.
I like the charrred taste. just a personal preference
Thanks to all for the quick and very informative information.
I am starting to like this Mak line !

Scallywag

I find temp pretty consistent all around.. but like any grille there are always hot spots. I cook a lot of steaks on my 2 Star..and they always come out fantastic!!! With the flame zone and searing grate you cant go wrong.

Pappymn

I find temp pretty consistent all around.. but like any grille there are always hot spots. I cook a lot of steaks on my 2 Star..and they always come out fantastic!!! With the flame zone and searing grate you cant go wrong.

I gave up on searing on my Mak early on. You've inspired me to give it another go! Do you remove the heat deflector too?

RickB

I gave up on searing on my Mak early on. You've inspired me to give it another go! Do you remove the heat deflector too?

Not to put words in his mouth but i think he is talking about the full flame zone compared to the half. Plus the grill grates. I know I have no problem at all searing my steaks and this is the setup I use.

And no do NOT remove the deflector.

Last edited:

iwnly

Not to put words in his mouth but i think he is talking about the full flame zone compared to the half. Plus the grill grates. I know I have no problem at all searing my steaks and this is the setup I use.

Is there a picture attached ?
If so would love to see it

Pappymn

I have both set-ups. Split flame zone and the full grease pan

Thanks Rick, I you say I can I will give it another go.

fishingbouchman

Love the one star. Saved me money and does all I want. 2 would be cool but very very happy with the one. Just wish I had picked it up from BP.

cowdog

I was deciding between the 1 Star and 2 Star as well. After I calculated all of the accessories I wanted, the price difference was only minimal, so I went with the 2 Star. I figured the cold smoker, pellet door, and extra room was worth the difference. I sear steaks, burgers, and chicken all the time on my 2 Star. If you are concerned with smokiness, get the Amaze N Tube Smoker. I like to use that for the xtra smoke flavor.

iwnly

I was deciding between the 1 Star and 2 Star as well. After I calculated all of the accessories I wanted, the price difference was only minimal, so I went with the 2 Star. I figured the cold smoker, pellet door, and extra room was worth the difference. I sear steaks, burgers, and chicken all the time on my 2 Star. If you are concerned with smokiness, get the Amaze N Tube Smoker. I like to use that for the xtra smoke flavor.

Cowdog,
any pics of seared steaks / burgers ?

Top Bottom