brisket cooking too fast?

tenny80

I put my 16lb brisket on last night at 180 for 3 hours, and then turned it up to 225.

After only 8 hours i'm already at 160! I just put it in some foil. I was under the impression this sucker was going to take 15-16 hours... we are not eating for another 11 hours lol Should I turn it back down to 180? seems like it's going to be done cooking in another couple of hours.

tenny80

now after 10 hours it's at 190, i moved the probe to another location on the flat and got 180... I turned the temp setting down to 180... I am thinking my traeger must be reading way to hot for it to cook this fast, hope I didn't ruin it!

Pappymn

Foil will speed up the cook and push you through the stall, which it sounds like you don't want. I would take a temp with another device too. The brisket can sit in foil/towel/cooler for at least 3 hours and still be warm and juicy.

Good luck. One lesson I learned when I started BBQ which wasn't that long ago, is that the meat is done when it is done. Very hard to nail timing on low and slow.

TentHunter

If it's that far along already, and you have another 8 plus hours until you eat, then I don't see that you have much choice but to pull it and get it cooled down and re-heat it later.

I'd wrap it if foil tightly let it sit on a rack so it can cool. After an hour or so stick it in the fridge. About 2 - 2 1/2 hours before eating, stick it back on the grill at about 225° (no foil) to let it slowly reheat and tighten the bark for a couple hours.

tenny80

well I just checked it again and in another spot and I could tell putting the probe in that it wasn't as high... it is only at 165 in this spot... wtf lol.

Big Poppa

Administrator
OK you got confused....you planned a cooking time that would be close if you include rest and didnt foil...but then you used foil I have a 16 pound brisket on right now....it will take six hours to cook. Unfoiled is can take several hours to move off the 160 that you panicked at and abpout 12 -14 hours max. Its ok to let it rest in for a few hours too...

Search FTC Foil Towel Cooler

TentHunter

Glad it worked out for you Tenny!

It was actually kind of fun watching you work through the learning curve of your first brisket. I remember my first brisket... ;)

scooter

If you get the probe in a big vein of fat, you'll get a higher reading then you will if the probe is in meat.

Big Poppa

Administrator
Scooter he hit the stall after 8 hours of cvooking at 180 and 225 really it should have been even higher internal temp.

Top Bottom