Hot Dog... Homemade!

TentHunter

That's right, I'm making hot dogs!

I don't get to eat hot dogs often because of allergies to some additives found in almost all brands.
The only brand I can get locally that's safe (Colemans Beef) are now over $7.00/lb. YIKES!
EEKsm.JPG
That gives a whole new meaning to the term "Tube Steak!"

I figured it was high time I tried making my own!

Salt & cure #1 were mixed with ice water & set aside while I mixed some super secret experimental spice blend into a 50/50 mix of lean ground beef & pork.
HOTDOG01.JPG

The meat & cure water were put into a food processor (in batches) and emulsified into a paste.
HOTDOG02.JPG

The mixture was then stuffed into natural sheep casings and twisted into links.
HOTDOG03.JPG

Smoked at 200° to an internal temp of 138°...
HOTDOG04.JPG

Then poached in a 170° water bath to an I.T. of 155° (this only took a few minutes) and plunged into cold water.
HOTDOG05.JPG

The texture seems OK, not quite as fine as a commercially made hot dog (my understanding is that's a limitation of using home equipment).
HOTDOG06.JPG

We grilled some up for supper (including a few that broke).
HOTDOG07.JPG

The rest went into the fringe for overnight to chill & firm up before packaging.
HOTDOG08.JPG

You know I had to keep the first one simple for testing. Just some mustard & ketchup so the hot dog would shine or fail. Oh yeah... these were definitely worth the effort!
HOTDOG9.JPG

Next time, I think I'll opt for regular 80/20 ground chuck to increase the fat content and see what else I can do to improve texture & juiciness. A heavier duty food processor may help. But, overall...

I am a happy man!

Thanks for looking.

Smartz8184

Those look as good as any commercial natural casing hot dog I have had. I personally prefer a coarser textured hot dog (aka German Style). On the plus side you get to control the spice blend. I may have to try these. I've Donne lots of sausage but never hot dogs.

TentHunter

Those look as good as any commercial natural casing hot dog I have had. I personally prefer a coarser textured hot dog (aka German Style). On the plus side you get to control the spice blend.

Thanks Smartz! I do like controlling my spice blend (and other ingredients), but I hadn't really thought about the texture like that. These definitely had a German flare, and I unwittingly gave them a more German flavor profile by adding some nutmeg & coriander (the recipe called for mace).

Nice Cliff.

Is the emulsifying difficult?

Thanks Randy! I'd have to say the biggest pain was the fact that you have to carefully remove the blades with each batch so you can scrape the meat mixture out. It was a bit messy, otherwise it wasn't too bad.

You have to do it in small batches so you don't overwhelm the food processor (I did 2 lb batches). Also I learned that using ice water (not cold water) is a must and don't mix it with the meat beforehand. Adding it to the meat in the food processor definitely helped lubricate the chopping blades.

The Rytek Kutas book does a pretty good job explaining the process.

P.S. I've been wanting a heavier duty food processor and this now gives me the incentive to spend to the $$$. ;)

Last edited:

TrickyDick

DROOL!!!

Looks awesome! Get some Brezels and some mustard and, oh yes... beer!

I must try this sometime. maybe this summer or fall.
TD

Top Bottom