BBQer's Delight Charcoal Pellets

Coastal

Has anyone tried these pellets? What do you think of them? Do they give you higher btu for grilling/searing situations?

Last edited:
I like them. I like to mix them with Hickory or Apple or all 3 together. No use in holding back. Maybe i'm crazy or imagining things, but when I use charcoal the smoke doesn't bother me as much when I open the lid to spray.

TrickyDick

I'm still undecided on the charcoal pellets. I've got my last 10-15 pounds in the hopper. much prefer oak and hickory.

never had an issue with any of ther BBQers delight pellets.

Ducaticraig

I've used charcoal pellets and do not notice a difference in smoke flavor. Being 10 months new into pellet cooking I can't say I notice much of a smoke flavor with any of the different wood pellets I'm using. I think the reason might be due to using too much seasoning while cooking or I have to smoke the food longer at a lower temp. I see plenty of smoke coming off my 2 Star, just never seem to notice any smoke flavor. Maybe it's time to try mesquite pellets? This story refers to when I'm cooking eggs on the griddle but when I actually smoke a Cornish Game Hen all of the different variety of the wood pellets give off a nice, mellow, smokey flavor.

Buy yourself a bag of charcoal pellets next time your in the market for pellets and give it a try. We all have different tastebuds and someone may tell you they don't care for charcoal pellets but you may just think they're out of this world.

Seriously, I do have a couple bags of charcoal pellets and find all the other variety of wood pellets to be more enjoyable than the charcoal ones. That may be because I thought the charcoal pellets were going to flavor the food more like a charcoal grill and that just did not happen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:

HogSmoker

I use them like BBQDad does mix with my hickory and sugar maple. I really like them when I cook burgers or dogs maybe my imagination too but seems to make a difference with flavor. :)

scooter

Pellet cookers already have a light smoke flavor so I load my hopper up with wood to get as much as I can. I can't see thinning out the wood flavor pellets with charcoal. Seems to go against what I'm trying to get done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk while driving one handed!

TrickyDick

I bought the charcoal pellets thinking they has a higher BTU than other pellets. I agree that I cannot tell a difference in smoke flavors amongst the various pellet woods. Charcoal seems to be similar to all the other pellets in terms of BTU. in fact, I think OAK is best.

TD

Coastal

Thanks thats what I was looking for if they had the higher BTU for grilling steaks and burgers.

Think I will stick with oak.

TrickyDick

You know I think I read that charcoal was supposed to be higher btu, and then heard somewhere its not. I really don't know, but it feels to me like oak is probably the btu winner with hickory a short step behind.

Ffvillager

Bought 2 bags of charcoal and tried using them. Made the low pellet alarm on my GMG go off constantly. Tried mixing them 50/50 with hickory and still made my alarm go off and burns more pellets than straight hickory. Also don't impart any smoke flavor. Can't say I would bother buying them again.

SmokinMAK

I definitely get a hotter pit with 100% Oak than I do with charcoal. I bought for the same reason - thinking they would be hotter and I'd get some of that charcoal flavor on steaks/burgers. Now I stick with Oak for the BTU's, and will put some 100% Mesquite in a smoker tube for some great smoke flavor.

The last of the charcoal is being mixed with hickory these days - seems to be fine that way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom