H'llo!

Mmmmm

Mmmm from Idaho here.

I grew up with my Dad's gas grill cooking. When I got old enough to drive truck I started running flatbeds all over the NW. About once a week I delivered to a small building supply in Joseph, OR that sold Traeger's back in the day when the company was young and small and Traeger owners were a sort of "family". One day, they had the pink pig out on the sidewalk cooking samples and they fed me some chicken. I was hooked. I decided I would one day own a Traeger.

Fast forward a few years. I had gotten married and received a cheap gasser as a wedding present. I was dissatisfied and needing a better grill. Traeger was tops but the nearest dealer was too far away and I could foresee frustrating times running out of pellets. My solution? I became a dealer myself. I sold out of my garage through word of mouth, did demo's every weekend wherever I could get permission to set up, and generally had a ton of fun. Then when Traeger sold and moved production overseas and quit taking care of their loyal independent dealers me and another dealer got on board as dealers with Green Mountain Grills, again when the company was quite young. Soon we were selling both brands as fast as our salesmen's mouths could form sentences.

However, grill selling was still a sideline. Our main business was excavation, and as the economy tanked so did our business. We made some huge changes to our business model and sort of continued, sort of started anew and afresh, under a new business name. The business thrived and soon the grill dealership was taking a toll on what was our actual bread and butter, at at time when bread and butter was already scarce, so we had to let it go. We sold our inventory and dealerships to a local sporting goods store.

As business grew it took almost all of my time and effort. I was getting burned out so a while back I told my wife I HAD to find a diversion, and so since I enjoy BBQ so much that was a natural fit for a hobby to get my mind off of work in the evenings. I have found that BBQ for fun and not for money is a lot more enjoyable, and I am no longer tied by loyalty to any particular type of cooker. I recently sold a Green Mountain Daniel Boone to buy the parts to repair a broken BGE. I enjoy charcoal, open fire, and pellet cooking, and actually still fire up the gasser occasionally.

I will let my family portrait do the rest of the formalities.

View attachment 2402

RickB

Great story and looks like you have the patio welll stocked. Glad your here and let's see some cooks! Welcome to the group!

So Cal Smoker

Where's the WSM, LOL. Looks like you have the smoking/grilling thing covered. Welcome to the forum. I look forward to some of your cooks. Good luck and good smoking.

Mmmmm

Sheesh this is old. I gotta update the family portrait.

I've actually had a few more since.

28934a760b352e3911a1d68642084dfb.jpg

83ff749661a55ba34d008b14748f29f2.jpg

95aec4304de3160e95465ff3e2977970.jpg

ca1dfc4a61198a461b4503925c7cef40.jpg

TentHunter

Nice additions! That Case Drum looks pretty cool. I really like the air intake pipe where you can adjust it easily without having to bend to the ground.

Mmmmm

Nice additions! That Case Drum looks pretty cool. I really like the air intake pipe where you can adjust it easily without having to bend to the ground.
Thanks. I've built a lot of theme build UDS's. I even have a website to showcase them. This just happens to be the one I built for myself since I'm a daily Case backhoe operator.

It's tough to beat a UDS.

Top Bottom