I'm in Love...

TrickyDick

with ZEP Fast 505 degreaser!

This stuff is awesome! Cleans some stains off granite and stainless like nobody's business! Spent about 5 hours one day detailing the MAK, and ever since I vowed to keep it clean after each use. So after yesterday's cook, I hit it tonight with some ZEP 505 and off come all the stains in a FRACTION of the time it took the last time. It's like greased lightning but the supercharged nitromethane version.

Had to share!

TD

TentHunter

Great tip. I̶ ̶a̶m̶ ̶g̶o̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶f̶i̶n̶d̶ ̶s̶o̶m̶e̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶t̶r̶y̶ ̶i̶t̶.̶ Just ordered some!

Last edited:

scooter

TD, Intrigued I went out and bought a bottle of the 505 and tested it side by side against greased lightning on some heavy smoke stains on my 2 Star stainless lid.
Left half was cleaned with 505 and the right with GL. I used painters tape down the middle to divide the two sides.
Performance was comperable with the slight edge going to GL. The left half had some small stains remaining after one application while the right half had only a small spot that didn't come out after the first application.
So far I agree that it works quite well but not a supercharged version of GL. My mileage varied from yours. :)

TrickyDick

Hmm interesting. I had stains that the GL wouldn't touch. Mine is the heavy duty GL version in the yellow bottles. I didn't see photos if you posted any. I also had tried a friendly citrus grease cleaner and of the three, I had significantly better cleaning with the 505. Well next time you get stubborn GL resistant stains, give this a try. Could be that my grill can backsplash hadn't been cleaned in a long time that was the difference.

sorge57

I went to the store to buy zep 505 to try it out. Found zep grill cleaner so I bought both. I liked the zep grill cleaner better. here are my results.

after all, pics or it didn't happen ;)

hank858SD

Sorge57 What did you use for the scouring pad ? Do you know if the ZEP oven cleaner is caustic in any way ? Also have you ever tried Greased Lightning?

sorge57

I have never tried greased lightning.

I didn't use a scouring pad. just paper towels and oven,grill cleaner.

maybe someone else can chime in about it being caustic. I would think not since it is for grills??? I read the can and nowhere did it suggest that it was .

scooter

I'd suggest you NOT get that oven cleaner on your powder coat! I did it once and had to have #28 re-powercoated.

Rubbin-N-Grubbin

Is the greased lightning super strength (yellow bottle) ok on the powder coating? I just bought a bottle for my 1 star but haven't needed to try it yet.

scooter

sorge, Really depends on how long it's left on the powder coat. I had inadvertently left it on for about 15 minutes and it stained the powdercoat leaving streaks of gray powdercoat where the oven cleaner had been. Discoloration would be the result of extended exposure. Possibly worse with even longer.

RnG, I don't leave it on long enough to find out but I doubt GL presents a problem on powder coat but I simply never give any cleaner a chance at my powder coat after what happened with the oven cleaner.

#28 was sent back home for re powder coating.

TrickyDick

Anyone tried clean and perfect? I have a bottle coming. guys at MAK grills said folks were raving about it. Originally intended for pool furniture.

Top Bottom