Coffee in rub?

dstemmerman

I am trying my hand a making my own simple rib rub. I currently am using course pepper, kosher salt, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika and chili powder. Thinking about adding some coffee for depth. Has anyone tried this before?

flypig

I've used espresso beans in several rubs. Just one piece of advice...

Grind the coffee very fine and use your taste buds to adjust the amounts of sugar / brown sugar and salt in the mix needed to counter any bitterness.

68sting

I had a buddy use a coffee based rub on a brisket. It turned out great and I don't like coffee.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dstemmerman

I appreciate the feedback. I am smoking two racks tomorrow. I will try one with the coffee and one without. I'll update the thread with pics and details.

dstemmerman

Just some final feedback for anyone who finds this thread. The coffee added depth to the rub and did not impart a coffee flavor. Highly recommended.

Denrael

I actually take this one step further when doing a leg of lamb. I make a solution of red wine, brewed coffee, garlic, thyme and oregano and let the lamb sit for about 6 hours. Does a wonderful job of tenderizing, pulls some of the gaminess and imparts wonderful flavor.

chaz345

I use coffee in my brisket rub. I agree with the advice previously given to grind it VERY fine. Done right it adds a flavor that is very pleasant and doesn't scream "hey there's coffee in here". I've not had to add additional sugar to deal with bitterness.

Top Bottom