2014 Marching Band Cookout

TentHunter

Big Poppa loves to see musicians being fed, so here we go!

Marching Band/Band Camp has been in full swing for the past month, and we ended the last day of band camp, this past Thursday, with the annual Marching Band cookout.

Pulled pork & fixin's for 140 kids & staff.

We started the day before by prepping two whole pork shoulders, three pans of Sour Cream & Onion Mashed potatoes topped with bacon & cheese (30+ lbs), three pans of Mac & Cheese, one pan of Baked Apple Beans, a double batch of homemade BBQ Sauce, and 10 gallons of homemade lemonade. We also got some chicken legs to smoke for those who don't eat pork.

Thursday morning my young helper, Matt, and I were down at the high school before the crack of dawn to get the pork shoulders going on the MAK. As soon as there was enough light, I snapped a couple pics and we finished setting up the other cookers.

Sorry - crappy cell phone pics only.
2014BC02.JPG

2014BC01.jpg

I'm glad my daughter showed up to help, so she could snap a few pics.

One of the whole shoulders getting foiled.
2014BC04.JPG

The kids lined up - better get some food out!
2014BC05.JPG

Here's my helper Matt (green shirt), my friend Jeff (blue shirt - who also came to help), and me (sitting & pulling pork) getting food out as quickly as we could. No final pic of the pork after it was pulled; the food was disappearing as fast as we could get it out!
2014BC07.JPG

2014BC08.JPG

2014BC09.JPG

It was kind of bittersweet this year because my son (who's on the Drumline) is a senior, so this is his last year. But, we had the best turnout ever this year, and a great time!

The kids make it all worthwhile!

Cliff

TentHunter

Baked apple beans? Do tell!

I got the idea from the famous Hog-Apple Bean recipe that was floating around hot and heavy a few years ago.

They are simply some homemade baked beans using my own BBQ sauce, smoked paprika, salt, pepper, and some granny smith apples cut up in them, and either topped with bacon, or chunks of cooked bacon in them. Apples & pork already go really well together and the apples give a nice bit of unexpected sweetness to the beans. And the texture is just right to go with the beans as well.

They're also very good adding some chunks of smoked sausage.

Sometimes I'll add about 1/4 cup of Jack Daniels (or my Jack Daniels BBQ sauce) and call them "Apple Jack Beans."

Top Bottom