Bourbon Bacon cure?

TrickyDick

Have a question.

In initial planning stage for a bacon cook/cure soon. I had some people raving about home cured "bourbon" bacon. I'm curious in addition to the usual cure ingredients, where along the way would add the bourbon? I might be able to get some additional details from the folks who made the stuff, but the actual guy who did it, I can't seem to locate. is possible I could hunt him down, but thought there may have been some folks here who've done it before.

I am assuming that it was a wet cure. I suppose that a bourbon soak before of after a standard wet cure, or simply added into the wet cure would be the way to go here.

TD

sptucker

Have a question.

In initial planning stage for a bacon cook/cure soon. I had some people raving about home cured "bourbon" bacon. I'm curious in addition to the usual cure ingredients, where along the way would add the bourbon? I might be able to get some additional details from the folks who made the stuff, but the actual guy who did it, I can't seem to locate. is possible I could hunt him down, but thought there may have been some folks here who've done it before.

I am assuming that it was a wet cure. I suppose that a bourbon soak before of after a standard wet cure, or simply added into the wet cure would be the way to go here.

TD

If it were me, I would just add the bourbon to the wet cure mixture and let it ride for 7 days doing standard overhauling. I was actually thinking about doing this on my next bacon cure.

Alternatively, I suppose you could cure as normal and then baste with bourbon while smoking...

TentHunter

I've never seen a Bourbon cure, but I'd think it would be an ingredient in a wet cure too.

BTW - I found an article talking about how to get bacon really crispy (if I remember, you said your wife likes it that way and you had trouble getting it to cook that way). I'll try to locate it and post it for you.

hariandro001

Here's the recipe;

Brine
1 Gal water
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup kosher salt
Cure #1
1TBS Garlic Powder
1TBS Onion Powder
1TBS White Pepper
1 cup Dark Molasses
1 cup Bourbon

Mix above together, simmer until dissolved etc etc...cool down.

Submerse loin in brine and weight down.
Place in fridge for 14 days, turning the loin every other

Remove loin and rinse.
Place loin in Ziplock or vacpac bag and add one bottle of Maple syrup
Place in fridge for further 10 days turning every other

Remove from bag. DO NOT RINSE
Smoke at 225F over your preferred wood until IT of 140
Refrigerated over night before slicing.

Have it!

Salmonsmoker

There's some new life to this thread started in 2015, and I don't know why I didn't think of this then re: bourbon cured bacon. There are several manufacturers that make spirit essences that are used to create your favorite spirit knock-offs by adding them to your home produced ethanol. (Vodka) Where it's legal to do so. ;-l Still Spirits and Prestige come to mind. They use natural and other compounds to create the flavors and some are so good you'd be hard pressed to pick the clone of the original. They're 20 - 50 ml and enough to treat a quart of spirits. bourbon is one of the flavors. I'm willing to bet that several drops of this flavoring added to your wet brine will do the same thing. Then you can save the real bourbon for that perpetual sore throat. Bourbon | stillspirit

Chef Anjana

Here's the recipe;

Brine
1 Gal water
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup kosher salt
Cure #1
1TBS Garlic Powder
1TBS Onion Powder
1TBS White Pepper
1 cup Dark Molasses
1 cup Bourbon

Mix above together, simmer until dissolved etc etc...cool down.

Submerse loin in brine and weight down.
Place in fridge for 14 days, turning the loin every other

Remove loin and rinse.
Place loin in Ziplock or vacpac bag and add one bottle of Maple syrup
Place in fridge for further 10 days turning every other

Remove from bag. DO NOT RINSE
Smoke at 225F over your preferred wood until IT of 140
Refrigerated over night before slicing.

Have it!

Tried this .Very delicious thank you

Top Bottom