Pellet Grill Cooking Surface

Goosehunter51

I am looking at upgrading from my Traeger Texas Pro with its 884 sq. in. Of grilling surface and was looking at the Yoder 640S, but the Mak 2 Star is starting to look interesting. Why should I go with a Mak 2 Star General when the cooking surface is much smaller and the price is much much higher? Guess I need to be sold on this one.

Thanks

bubbatdog

I had the same issue in my brain, but how often do you really need that much space. I can easily get 40 plus pounds of pork butt on the MAK 1. I went to that from the Jim Bowie, BIIIIIIIIGGGGGGG DIFFERENCE

KyNola

With the upper rack in place on my MAK 2 Star I have had 8 butts totaling over 70 pounds in it. You can also easily smoke 4 good size turkeys in it as well using the upper rack. Using 2 rib racks and the upper rack 16 racks of ribs can go in the 2 Star.

Is that enough space for your needs?

MAK2 star spec sheet shows 858 sq in of cooking space with upper rack. As others have said, you can load it up with quite a bit.

TentHunter

Here's my 2¢.

First of all: A larger base cooking area also translates to MORE grill/metal to have to heat up, EVERY TIME you use the grill, which translates to more pellet consumption. How often do you need to heat up that much space?

DON'T be fooled by either the MAK 1 or 2 Star's smaller footprint. The upper grates effectively double the cook area. It's sized right for everyday cooking, yet when I need it for cooking protein for the entire Marching band or church 3 - 4 times per year it comes through every time.

Here's 8 butts on my MAK 1 Star:
PP43003.JPG

We researched for a year before deciding on a MAK and we have never regretted the decision.

You get top notch quality and customer support, the best controller on the market, and with all the accessories and options available, the MAK's are hands down, the most versatile grill going.

Last edited:

Goosehunter51

I think the size question has been answered very well, but is it worth the extra grand? I need to sell wife on this? The Yoder 640 looks great and has good reviews on here also, why is the Mac worth the extra $$$$. That is where I am at right now. I want the best pellet grill with the best value, if that is the Mac then that is where I will go.

Goosehunter51

I also want to do a beer can turkey, not enough head space in the Traeger, which has more head space the MAK or the Yoder? Any experience out there on a beer can turkey?

rwalters

I also want to do a beer can turkey, not enough head space in the Traeger, which has more head space the MAK or the Yoder? Any experience out there on a beer can turkey?

I have a MAK 1 star, and could easily do 2-3 beer can turkeys if wanted. The 1 Star has 12" of headroom. The 2 star has 14" of headroom and should be able to easily accommodate 3-4 good sized beer can turkeys.

Tomsmccann

There are quite a few differences between the 1 and 2 star. I suggest you check out the MAK website to see the specifics. In a nutshell, 2 star has cold smoking drawer, is stainless steel, a bit bigger and is a completely difference design.

I was in the same boat as you when researching Yoder vs MAK. I was 100% set on yoder then came across MAK on this forum. I got to reading about them, and the pellet boss is really what sold me. My old Traeger has always had temp swing issues and could never keep a flame, and these aren't used with MAKs. I have seen a lot of people on the Yoder FB page mentioning flameouts, having to clean their fire pot after almost every use, etc. don't get me wrong, I will likely get a Yoder at some point in the near future as well, but am very happy with my 1 Star. The one thing to note is you should get the second shelf, either 2 halves or the full. Either way, get the extra space. I usually don't need a ton of space, cooking this Christmas was a time I wish I had the room.

Another tip... Join the Yoder YS fans page on Facebook and read through the posts. A lot of people love them, but there are those who have gripes as well. You don't see this on MAK's page whatsoever.

rwalters

Also what is the difference between the MAK I and MAK 2?

You can easily compare/contrast the differences on MAK's website or at Big Poppas site.

A few ?'s for you...

1) Will this pellet grill be your ONLY grill/smoker?
2) What types of cooking do you tend to do?
3) Will you expect your pellet grill to exceed 500° searing temps?
4) How many people do you cook for on a regular basis, and how often do you entertain? When entertaining, how many people will you be cooking for (max)?
5) Do you do more smoking (low n slow) or grilling (high heat).

The answers to these questions should help us to better answer your ?'s 😊👍

TentHunter

A few ?'s for you...

Just a quick FYI - That 500° temp range is a fooler when it comes to searing on a MAK. Set on high using the FlameZone and Searing grate, the temp gets much hotter than 500° at the grate level with the heat directly hitting it. Searing is not a problem.

Does it sear the same as a Higher temp Gas or charcoal grill? No...

...but I have no problem getting a decent sear.
FZ03.JPG

rwalters

Just a quick FYI - That 500° temp range is a fooler when it comes to searing on a MAK. Set on high using the FlameZone and Searing grate, the temp gets much hotter than 500° at the grate level with the heat directly hitting it. Searing is not a problem.

Does it sear the same as a Higher temp Gas or charcoal grill? No...

...but I have no problem getting a decent sear.
FZ03.JPG

NICE!! TentHunter, do you cover your FlameZone panels with foil and pop holes, or just use the FlameZone naked? If naked, how's the cleanup after a messy cook?

Goosehunter51

You can easily compare/contrast the differences on MAK's website or at Big Poppas site.

A few ?'s for you...

1) Will this pellet grill be your ONLY grill/smoker?
2) What types of cooking do you tend to do?
4) How many people do you cook for on a regular basis, and how often do you entertain? When entertaining, how many people will you be cooking for (max)?
5) Do you do more smoking (low n slow) or grilling (high heat).

The answers to these questions should help us to better answer your ?'s 😊👍

1. It will replace the Traeger which is my only grill / smoker.
2. Ranges from quick dinners for the family of four, steaks, chicken, fish, pizzas, cookies, bacon. Etc.... I also like to smoke salmon. I would like to do it all and plan to when life slows down.
3. 500 degrees should be fine.
4. Typically I am cooking for my family of four on a normal basis. Holidays for thirty or more. Sons varsity football team once a year with 50 plus very hungry boys, a couple of cooks for his baseball team of 20, have friends over about once a month for BBQ's and drinking, say a total of 10 or fifteen.
5. The majority is grilling but I do really like to smoke and plan on doing more of it.

Hope this helps you guys to help me. Thanks.

TentHunter

NICE!! TentHunter, do you cover your FlameZone panels with foil and pop holes, or just use the FlameZone naked? If naked, how's the cleanup after a messy cook?

The FlameZone comes with 2 covers, so you can cover one side, both or leave them both uncovered, depending on what you're doing.

Cleanup for the FlameZone is no better/worse that using the regular blank drip pan (which is what I use for most cooks). Again it just depends on what your cooking, whether or not you used any sticky marinades, etc.

The BEAUTIFUL part about the MAK drip pans (including the flame zone) is they are 304 grade stainless steel. When they need a good cleaning (2 - 3 times per year) they are sized just right to pop them all into our self cleaning oven for a cycle.

Again, just another one of the MANY details that you get with a MAK! I think you're starting to see why MAK's are priced where they are!

rwalters

Ok, just thinking out loud.

Family of 4.
Busy!
Primarily a griller, not low n slow guy.
Feeds aprox 12/people once/month.
Feeds large groups a few times/year.
Most common cooks are quick weeknight meals.
Screaming hot searing is not required...500° will work.

Just my opinion...
IF you are committed to only having 1 pellet grill for ALL of your cooking needs, AND the majority of your cooking is mid temp range 350-450° grilling (with some low n slow), then if me, I'd go with with a MAK 2 Star. For grilling, the WHOLE cooking surface is available with even grilling temps vs much of the competition offering just a portion of the cooking grate as the "grilling area"...BIG DIFFERENCE! You will be able to do every single thing you have mentioned with ease. Feeding your monthly gathering of 10-15 people will be a breeze...even your groups of 20 will be easy. 50 people? I'd suggest pulled pork, which will blow them away coming from a 12-15 hour low n slow session on the MAK... not to mention, you can cook enough pulled pork to feed 200+ people in one round on a MAK 2 Star. Oh yeah, you could easily prepare enough turkeys to feed 50. I just wouldn't want to grill for 50 as you will find yourself bogging down the food line if you want to serve fresh hot off the grill food. Don't get me wrong, you can grill for 50...but you better have it planned and thought out if you like things to go smoothly ;-)

Why the MAK 2 Star vs the 1 Star or Yoder?

Because it'll be your only cooker and will hands down beat the competition in the versatility dept. It will make the cooking experience easier vs the competition. The 304 SS will last forever, and the unit itself should be the last grill/smoker you ever have to buy (with basic routine maintenance). No dealing with rust, repainting, etc.

From everything I've read, the MAK will heat up quite a bit faster then a Yoder, which of course means lower pellet consumption. Also, from everything I've read, the MAK Pellet Boss controller can't be beat.

Just my 2 cents... 😊

TentHunter

I think rwalters pretty much summed it up.

The only thing I would add regarding the MAK 1 Star Vs MAK 2 Star is this:

BOTH the 1 Star and 2 Star feature the same PelletBoss Controller, so if you have the bucks AND want all the features up front, then definitely go with the 2 Star. If your budget doesn't quite allow for it, then go with the 1 Star and add the FlameZone and other features as your budget allows.

The bottom line is MAK grills rock!

Top Bottom