Insulating a Traeger

Roguejim

I see some of you Traeger owners throw a blanket of some sort over your cooker when it is cold or windy out. Any special kind of heat resistant material? Thanks

Big Poppa

Administrator
Yeah but I think a great thing to do to a traeger is to add fire bricks to the cooker...gets way hotter and hods the heat in

HoDeDo

Firebricking the bottom does give you alot more insulation and heat retention.... it also shrinks the amount of space under the baffle you are pushing air to fill, so adds to the convection going on above the baffle - air is pushed up faster.

A welding blanket, or I have even seen some folks fashion those blue moving blankets into covers. you can also get rock wool andreflective/lined backer, and make your own to fit.

Roguejim

Are these bricks that would go in a fireplace? Not the ordinary red bricks?

Never mind! I Googled it. Thanks.

squirtthecat

I have 12 fire bricks (yes, the one from fireplace construction) in the bottom of my Traeger. It makes a world of difference keeping the temps stable, evening out the left to right temperature differences, etc.

I got mine from a local farm store. They run a little less than $2 a piece, and they are very very dense. Well worth the investment.

Phrett Bender

Just becareful that by modifying the space in the cooking chamber you don't alter the requirements for the controller's parameters.

Wileycat

Beware of welding blankets! They're cheap, and do an excellent job of insulating. But they're made of fiberglass and tiny particles will be floating in the sunbeams and itching you crazy. I used one a couple of times on my Brinkman and then discarded it (the blanket, not the Brinkman :))

Trooper

Yeah but I think a great thing to do to a traeger is to add fire bricks to the cooker...gets way hotter and hods the heat in

It's 28f. I'm MAKing some MAKballs & spagetti today.

I'm wondering if anyone firebricks other then the Traeger users.
Anyone bricking MAKs, GMG's or Danson Units?

SmokinMAK

I'm wondering if anyone firebricks other then the Traeger users.
Anyone bricking MAKs, GMG's or Danson Units?

I have a few in the base of my 2 Star. No particular reason other than I was doing some time-to-temp, and pellet consumption testing. One front, back, and right of the firebox, one in the rear (under the lip for the diffuser), and one in front, also under the lip. I like these two because it helps insulate the body from the high heat.

I have a couple "non-standard" parts that I am messing with, and testing the combination of them with the bricks.

I don't think they do anything for me other than maybe focus the heat to the upper part of the smoker more.

ITFD#15

Just rapped my new Traeger with a blanket.. It is cold in Ontario tonight... its a fresh -10 out there now and I have a beef roast and a squash with butter and honey.

Top Bottom