Steak Prep

Gunny

Given the price of meat lately (we only buy from Costco) they only carry Choice and Prime grade

In my prep of the meat we put our rub....had been Treager, but ordered Double Secret from BP, I put my rub on and then wrap with plastic wrap well and put in the bottom of the fridge for 3 or 4 days.

Anyone else do this, or is there something better to set the flavor in?

scooter

I put the rub on less than an hour before steaks and tritip goes on. I do vacuum tumble marinate my tritips before the rub goes on.

I am similar to scooter on this one. Rub on steaks for less than an hour. For tri tip, I love balsamic glaze and rub marinating for several hours.

Gunny, how do they come out after 3-4 days in the fridge? I am always wanting to learn something new?

Goosehunter51

I am similar to scooter on this one. Rub on steaks for less than an hour. For tri tip, I love balsamic glaze and rub marinating for several hours.

Gunny, how do they come out after 3-4 days in the fridge? I am always wanting to learn something new?

The tri tip sounds good, can you walk me through how you cook it?

Gunny

They seem to work out for us, i'm also pretty new to this, so trial and error. Old time BBQ'r told me about the wrap. Trying the new BP DS rub today, we put them in the fridge on Wed....here's crossin your fingers.

sptucker

I'm almost hesitant to admit this, but I have never marinated a steak, other than flank or skirt and some game meat, in my entire grilling life.

I have always put rub/seasonings on most steaks while the grill is warming up, like my daddy taught me, so I can still taste the meat.

Do I need to change my ways?!

scooter

If you don't experiment you'll never find better ways of doing things. On the other hand, if you are completely happy with the outcome of your process then there's really no need to change it.

sptucker

If you don't experiment you'll never find better ways of doing things. On the other hand, if you are completely happy with the outcome of your process then there's really no need to change it.

Agreed on the experimenting -- I do plenty of it otherwise! I have marinated just about everything BUT strips and ribeyes and t-bones and the like.

I am super-duper happy with the way those steaks come out, though, and I would hate to screw one of them up. You only get to eat so many steaks in your life... :cool:

TrickyDick

There is some interesting information about the practice of "Dry Brining" meat by applying salt to it before cooking. The devil is in the detail.

TD

Mikes_Meat

I experiment quite a bit with my steaks. Somehow I usually end up back to the basics and use kosher salt, garlic powder and black pepper. I used to be able to find some seasoning called Steak Dust from Sam's Club years ago that by itself was not too spectactular, but when added with other seasonings seemed to enhance the flavor of the steak, but I haven't found it in years.

The tri tip sounds good, can you walk me through how you cook it?

Goosehunter,
Sorry I missed this question. I am always trying new ways to cook tri tip so I don't have a go to. Lately, I have been smoking for an hour, then 275F until the IT is 142F (cook tri tip to higher temp than other beef for tenderness - a recommendation from BP that I completely agree with). I have started and ended at 275F, and I have reversed seared. All come out great. I spent 16 years of my adult life in Central, CA where I believe Tri Tip started, and I know that grilling tri trip is the way it is done. I still do it on the Webber or gasser every now and then and still love it. Try many different ways and find what you like best! It is still probably my favorite thing to cook!

Top Bottom