Smoked 'n Sous Vide Venison Summer Sausage

MossyMO

Did an experiment on some summer sausage and was very pleased with the results. Used 2 pounds of ground venison, 1 pound of ground pork and then added garlic summer sausage seasoning and cure #1 weighed out for 3 pounds of meat, gave it all a good mix and let it set overnight in the fridge. The next day stuffed the meat mix into 2 fibrous casings and into the smoker at 110° for an hour with no smoke, then bumped the heat to 130° and started applying smoke. Smoked with a combination of hickory and apple pellets in the Maze smoker for 3 hours.

-----

Then placed the summer sausage separately into vacuum sealed bags and into a sous vide set at 155° for 3 hours.

-----

-----

After the sous vide the summer sausage was placed in a cold water bath and then refrigerated overnight.

The summer sausage turned out excellent, the texture and flavor were perfect!

-----

Thanks for looking!

TentHunter

Marty, I love this!

I've been using a similar method this past year, for various smoked sausages. Only since I'm not vac-sealing them, it's not really a sous-vide; it's really more of a controlled poach using the sous-vide controller to control the water temperature.

For regular smoked sausages (Kielbasa, hot dogs, etc.) I've been smoking them to about 145°, then going 152° on the water bath, and they're usually done in about 15 - 20 minutes.

What I love is that the sausages come up to temp very gently and evenly, without the fear of fatting out, and they stay nice and plump too!

MossyMO

Marty, I love this!

I've been using a similar method this past year, for various smoked sausages. Only since I'm not vac-sealing them, it's not really a sous-vide; it's really more of a controlled poach using the sous-vide controller to control the water temperature.

For regular smoked sausages (Kielbasa, hot dogs, etc.) I've been smoking them to about 145°, then going 152° on the water bath, and they're usually done in about 15 - 20 minutes.

What I love is that the sausages come up to temp very gently and evenly, without the fear of fatting out, and they stay nice and plump too!

We also do what your doing by not vac-sealing with homemade hotdogs, we seem to get I much plumper, not so much dried out end product.

Top Bottom