Pig Shots - YUM!!!

TentHunter

I'd never heard of Pig Shots until my friend, Old Dave, made some at the Ohio Gathering last year. I didn't get to try any, but my friend Jason (Travishunting7777) has mentioned how good they were several times this past year, so... I had to try making some!

To get some ideas, I found different variations posted online. These are similar to what Dave made, with my own twist adding some BBQ sauce to half of them.

I cut some homemade smoked sausage into about 3/4" thick slices. Then each was wrapped with half a strip of bacon and secured with a toothpick to form what looks like a shot glass (hence the name; Pig Shots). I spooned a good dab of BBQ sauce inside half of them.
PIGSHTS1.JPG

Next, they were stuffed with softened cream cheese and topped off with a good sprinkling of my brown sugar pork rub.
PIGSHTS2.JPG

I placed them into the MAK running at 275°. After about 15 minutes, we added a batch of homemade Broccoli Mac & cheese (which my wife made), and a small pan of homemade baked beans.
PIGSHTS3.JPG

They took about 45 minutes or so, for the bacon to be done and bite-through, and crispy on the edges.

YUM!
PIGSHTS4.JPG

PIGSHTS5.JPG

My son was unhappy when he found out I ate the few that were left for lunch the next day! :rolleyes:
These will definitely be seeing a repeat performance at our house.

Thanks for looking!

Those look great. I will have to try those. On a side note, the broccoli Mac and cheese is what I had my eye on in the final pic. Love broccoli, love mac n cheese, just never thought of adding together. Adding to the list! (Long, long, long list by now).

Thanks for sharing.

TentHunter

Love broccoli, love mac n cheese, just never thought of adding together. Adding to the list!
Thanks for sharing.

Thanks! I had a brainstorm this past year (which my wife says can be dangerous). I knew that broccoli and cheese were a good combo is some other dishes, and though, "Heck, why not in Mac & Cheese?" It's been a big hit around here.

I can PM or post the recipe if you like.

Cliff

Last edited:

sptucker

Cliff, you are a hero, man!

I have actually added broccoli to my mac and cheese, too (great minds?)! And, I'm sure you already do this, but adding a generous amount of home-made bacon cutoffs/lardons to the mac and cheese mix really kicks it up a few notches...

Top Bottom