Birthday Brisket and Ribs

Mikes_Meat

This weekend I celebrated my 43rd birthday with family and friends and decided to smoke a 15 lb brisket and some St. Louis style Ribs.

I injected the ribs with some beef broth and then salted them on Thursday night. After a couple of hours I then put some Big Bad Beef Rub on them from the amazingribs.com website.

On Friday I preheated the smoker with Perfect Mix pellets from CookinPellets.com to 180. I then started my AMZNPS with some hickory pellets from A-Maze-N. I took the brisket out of the fridge and let it sit for about an hour and then placed it on the smoker at around 6:45 PM. I set my P-setting to 2 and it stayed between 175 and 190 until about 10 AM on Saturday. At this point the temp was about 160 and I took it out of the smoker and placed it in a foil pan with about a 1/4 cup of beef broth, a bottle of Miller lite and a shot (or 2) of some Crown Royal Dark. While placing it in the pan I preheated the oven to 225. I put foil over the brisket and then placed it into the oven.

I then trimmed 3 racks of spare ribs to St. Louis style and placed them on the smoker with a rib rack. I put the trimmings from the ribs on the smoker, too, to make rib tips.

At around 12:00 PM the brisket hit 203 and I turned the temp in the oven down to 170 to keep it warm and let it sit for about 2 hours to redistribute the juices. I then took it out of the oven and cut off the point. I cubed the point into 1 inch pieces and placed it into a smaller foil pan with some Barbeque sauce from Sam's club. I placed it back into the smoker with the ribs for about an hour at 250. I had wrapped the brisket tightly in Aluminum foil and placed it in an insulated cooler with a towel.

I took the ribs off after using the bend test to see if they were done at around 4:30 and cut them into 2 rib pieces and placed in an electric roasting pan at 175.

I sliced the brisket at around 4:45 and it was like Buttah!!

Everyone showed up at the party around 5PM and the meat was very good from the brisket, ribs, rib tips and burnt ends. Finished the evening with great food, friends, beer and Corn Hole. Couldn't have asked for a better weekend! My wife even made me an apron that has Mike's Meat stenciled on the front for future smokes.

Still trying to get Photobucket to let me insert single pictures on here so here is a Google Photo album with some pics:

Birthday Brisket - Google Photo

TentHunter

The pics look great! Nice job with the brisket. Fell free to put a pile of those burnt ends on a bun and hand it to me!

Mikes_Meat

The pics look great! Nice job with the brisket. Fell free to put a pile of those burnt ends on a bun and hand it to me!

I would, but the brisket and burnt ends went within 45 minutes. I hardly got any myself...Thankfully I was eating test pieces before everyone got there :)

Nice looking meat, Mike! Thanks for sharing the details of the cook. I am always looking for different ways to cook things. Great stuff!

Top Bottom