New MAK owner with a question

rogersjd14

Hello! I set up my MAK 2 star today, and it's beautiful! I purchased through Big Poppa, and they were very nice. The smoker itself came with a bent leg... But MAK shipped me out a new one. I'll be honest though, the assembly instructions were pretty bad.

Anyway, my question is: can you use TWO searing grates on a 2 star? I will be cooking for a lot of people, and instead of having half my meat waiting for the other half to sear before they get their turn, I was thinking of putting on a second sear grate. I'm asking because someone told me it wouldn't work properly with two because of air flow reasons... This was a MAK owner.

Thanks in advance and I'm thrilled to join the MAK club!

John

BBQJUDGE

I've never tried it, but I don't see why not. The "flame zone" extends all the way across under both grates. Could be wrong, though.

briandmiles

I just assembled mine this week as well and I thought the assembly and instructions were pretty straight forward and easy. Instructions for installing wireless module could use a diagram or two. As far as 2 searing grates I think it should work like BBQJUDGE said.

TentHunter

I don't know of any issues using two searing grates.

My understanding is the reason MAK extended the FlameZone across the entire surface, a few years back, was so you CAN grill on both sides of the grill. I can't Imagine an airflow issue.

MAK DADDY

The airflow issue is only a concern if you are using aftermarket "grill grates" that extend all the way across the grill.
They block airflow because they have a flat base with just a few holes in them.
The standard Searing grates that MAK builds do not have a base or any airflow issues.

Top Bottom