Help with brisket

Arkangel86

Hello folks

First post here, just got a GMG Daniel Boone for fathers day, went down to the butcher and picked up a 9lb brisket.

I threw it on at 165 for 4 hours, flipped for another two, flipped again and bumped the temp up to 185 and put in thr probe to look for the temp to get to 165

9 hours later from the last flip and I could not get it higher than 151

Is this normal? Thats 15 hours total

I just foiled it now to get it up to 198

Salmonsmoker

At 151F you're probably in the stall. Curious as to why you're cooking at such a low temperature. If your temp is set @ 185F that's all the higher your meat is going to get. Most brisket cooks are 250-275F.

LikeAChampion3

It's definitely the low temp plus the stall. Get it up to 225 (at least) after/during the initial smoke. My smoker stays around 185 during the smoke but then I jack it to 275 after a couple hours in the smoke. I get a 12 pounder done in under 8 hours pretty consistently.

TentHunter

First, Welcome to the forum!

I wish I'd seen this yesterday. How did it turn out?

Why are you cooking at such a low temp?

Same thing I was wondering...

Arkangel86 said:
I threw it on at 165 for 4 hours, flipped for another two, flipped again and bumped the temp up to 185 and put in thr probe to look for the temp to get to 165

I just foiled it now to get it up to 198

Did you turn your pit temp up when you foiled it?

I generally run in smoke mode (which is around 170ish°) for an hour or so. After that I bump the temp to around 250° - 275° (Depending on how big the brisket is) and leave the lid closed for at least 4 - 5 hours before I even start to peek to see how it's looking. Every time you open that lid you are letting heat escape and stalling the cook.

Stick around and show us some pics of your new GMG in action! :)

Arkangel86

Thanks for the replys folks

I foiled it and turned it up to 225

I was following the the recipe thats in my GMG manual

It turned out OK, not as good as I hoped but not bad

mcschlotz

Hmm... very surprised to hear a brisket recipe calling for 165º temps. General accepted practice is either low & slow i.e. 225º or hot and fast which varies more i.e 250º-275º. Here is a good video from Malcom Reed that can get you started on a predictable path to good brisket.

Arkangel86

Its in the manual of my GMG Daniel Boone, heres the same recipe but maybe updated now with the higher temp? Also been watching a lot of Malcoms videos, gonna try his memphis ribs soon

Cook the brisket on your Green Mountain grill at 185°, fat side up, for 5 hours. Spritz with an apple juice/Worcestershire mix every hour or so. After five hours, turn it over and cook for 2 more hours. After that, turn it back over to fat side up and cook until the brisket’s internal temperature (check with a meat thermometer!) reaches 165°, usually about another 4 hours. Next, remove the brisket from the grill. Now, mix about ½ cup of apple juice plus 3 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce. Wrap the brisket completely in aluminum foil and drizzle the apple juice mix inside the foil onto the meat.

Turn the grill up to 225°. Cook until the internal temperature of the meat reaches 198-201° (2-6 hours). Lay newspaper or paper towels in a cooler and lay the meat, still wrapped up in the aluminum foil, on the paper. Close the cooler and let the meat rest for about an hour and a half.

Top Bottom