My first Tri-Tip!

SmokinKat

Can't believe it's taken me this long to get around to doing a Tri-Tip!! And you betcha I'm going to make more again!!

Rubbed down with a little olive oil and sprinkled with some MAK Sweet rub, then onto the MAK for about 2 hours of smoke.

tri%20tip%20on%20smoke_zpsvnoy5unc.jpg

Uncovered the Flame Zone, cranked the grill to high, and seared the outside, until the IT hit 125°. Set the roast aside to hang out and cooked some brussel sprouts in a cast iron pan with some butter, then drizzled them with some balsamic glaze.

brussels%20in%20pan_zpssybcf7pz.jpg

Oh my goodness, the meat was so tender and juicy, we didn't need knives to cut through it! Mmmmm

juicy%20tri%20tip_zpsiaakbikz.jpg

James likes his steak a little more well done than I do, so this was perfect-- the thinner end got done to his liking, and I got my succulent medium rare from the thicker end.

tri%20tip_zpsdrdq176e.jpg

KJRsmoker

That tri-tip looks awesome. Can't get those out here in the Midwest. My dad lives in California and cooks them all the time. When I visit him next month, I'm definitely going to have to try it.

SmokinKat

The MAK smoke mode varies between 170-190, and fluctuates up and down to get the most smoke possible. You could smoke anywhere up to like 225° and should get good results though!

scooter

Looks real good. Try cooking the next one closer to medium and see if it isn't more tender than it is when it's more rare.

Looks great! As Scooter recommends, cook a little longer and see how you like it. I cook tri tip all the time and I like it a little more doe than my steaks.

Big Poppa

Administrator
Yeah what they said but it looks fabulous....at around 140 it is still very pink but becomes amazingly tender

onionhead

Smokin Kat, good to see you are cooking Tri Tip. It is one of my favorites, and I am cooking 7 of them (Angus Choice) for the 4th. I do take them to around 138F IT and the crowd really likes them. Yes, a bit more tender.

sptucker

Kat, that looks super great to me, nice work!

Tri-tip with Santa Maria rub is a family favorite at my house. I remember when it was an inexpensive, much-overlooked cut. Now we have another convert!

Goosehunter51

Looks great. I just did a test cook on tri tip and i recommend you try it. Smoked until IT of 105, turned up to 240 until IT of 160, wrapped in foil and cooked until IT of 190. Pulled and rested 1 hour. It was the most tender and juicy tip I have ever cooked.

scooter

I agree with Jim, Cash Cow is phenomenal on TT. Also, try one on a BPS drum with oak wood (preferably red oak but any oak will do) and do reverse sear on it! Use a balsamic glaze and a touch of sriracha as your glue for the Cash Cow. When it's done let some slices of butter melt over the top....heaven on a platter!!

BoiseBBQ

Use a balsamic glaze and a touch of sriracha as your glue for the Cash Cow. When it's done let some slices of butter melt over the top....heaven on a platter!!

Wow Scooter that sounds fantastic! Hope to have my MAK set up and running this weekend, that may be one of my first cooks...

SmokinKat

Looks great. I just did a test cook on tri tip and i recommend you try it. Smoked until IT of 105, turned up to 240 until IT of 160, wrapped in foil and cooked until IT of 190. Pulled and rested 1 hour. It was the most tender and juicy tip I have ever cooked.

Interesting!! I'll have to give that a shot next time I find some on sale! And Scooter, I love the idea of the balsamic for the 'glue', that sounds fantastic!

Top Bottom