My name is Aaron and I am not a pellet smoker, but just ordered one today!

amoses

I ordered a pellet smoker today, and can't wait to try it, I have been frustrated trying to use charcoal grills, ruined several briskets. I want to smoke good brisket and salmon. I ordered texas bbq rub for brisket today, never have even tried salmon, so that will be a total new experience. Any suggestions are appreciated.

amoses

I bought a Camp Chef DLX. I know it will take practice, but I hope to be able to cook some good stuff!

TentHunter

First, Welcome to the forum!

Second, Brisket is a tough piece of meat to master, no matter what type of cooker you use. I can't say that I ruined the first few I tried, but they sure were far from great.

Big Poppa has a section for brisket tips, and don't be afraid to ask questions. That's what this forum is about. :)

Big Poppa

Administrator
brisket is usually ruined because people dont pull it when it feels good they obsess over the internal temp. when the probe offers minimal resistance its done

jimsbarbecue

This is so true. Just use your thermapen and ignore the temp only go by feel. The only thing we will use the thermapen for is if it is still not done it nice to see what the temp is out of curiosity. A beginner may benefit from using one those $3 temp gauges with the dial. so you don't look at the temp and only trust feel.

amoses

Thanks everyone for the advice. I really appreciate it. Grill is supposed to get here on Wednesday. I can't wait to try it out!

TentHunter

I will third going by feel and not temperature for brisket (and pork shoulders too).

The probe test never lies. If you feel resistance, it's not done, I don't care what the temp is.

Top Bottom