propane fueled pellet smoker

mike

Hi, I am trying to find out if anyone makes a propane fueled pellet smoker, or hopper as opposed to electric.

TentHunter

I haven't seen any propane fueled pellet smokers, and I'm not sure that it would make much sense.

1) You need electricity to power the controller (which regulates the pellet feed rate), at the very minimum.

2) The pellets themselves are the cooking fuel, so propane would be redundant/unnecessary.

If you are concerned with having electricity available for competitions, then a generator, or a battery bank and good quality inverter are options.

There are also a few options out there that will use 12 volt power for portability. I know someone with a GMG Davy Crockett and he powers it with a 12 volt portable power pack. I'm not sure if Big Poppa Smokers still sells this model or not.

Last edited:

mike

Propane fuel

Hi, I am trying to find out if anyone makes a propane fueled pellet smoker, or hopper as opposed to electric.

Thanks for the reply. Yea, I am looking for portability while still smoking; I like to move with the shade. I am also concerned about power outages and I don't want five different cookers. I will try the portable power pack. Maybe it will work.
Thanks again.

scooter

Forget the propane fueled pellet cooker. Everything about a pellet cooker requires electricity. Like Cliff has advised your best option is a large battery and a converter, or, have a drum cooker around for when the electricity fails. BP sells the best drum kit out there. I have two and they've earned their place on my back deck (Actually one of them is on my Mom's back deck for when I cook for the family over there). I wouldn't cook a tritip in anything else but my drum!! Having a pellet cooker and a drum is the best of both worlds (electric powered BBQ and non-electric powered BBQ), IMO.

TrickyDick

There is the portable GMG grill Davy Crockett I believe. Runs on a cigarette lighter, but it's small. Probably could operate on a 100 watt solar panel for startup, after than current draw is low.

TD.

mike

propane

Forget the propane fueled pellet cooker. Everything about a pellet cooker requires electricity. Like Cliff has advised your best option is a large battery and a converter, or, have a drum cooker around for when the electricity fails. BP sells the best drum kit out there. I have two and they've earned their place on my back deck (Actually one of them is on my Mom's back deck for when I cook for the family over there). I wouldn't cook a tritip in anything else but my drum!! Having a pellet cooker and a drum is the best of both worlds (electric powered BBQ and non-electric powered BBQ), IMO.

Thanks. I a, now trying to figure out the battery info and an inverter that is powerful enough.

Top Bottom