Pugliese family recipe for Eggplant Parmesan Lasagna on the MAK 2

scooter

Found this recipe on YouTube and thought to try it on my MAK 2 Star.
It's an Eggplant Parmesan recipe that's been adapted into a lasagna. The family is from Puglia (Southeast Italy) and their secret ingredient is adding Mortadella to the layers.

Full recipe here: Eggplant Parmigiana, Pugliese Styl

YouTube video link at the end.

Start with making the marinara sauce that will go into the layers and put over the top when plated. San Marzano tomatoes, sauteed garlic and fresh basil. I deviated from their recipe here. I like a different variation of marinara better than theirs.
Iw210eK.jpg

Some of the rest of the ingredients
lBo5JRq.jpg

Sauce is done.
3Yw8xGT.jpg

Make the batter, dip the eggplant slices then fry them to golden brown
OnCTkz9.jpg

Start layering. Some marinara on the bottom then slices of eggplant then more marinara
wvjaRS2.jpg

Then mozarella and reggiano parm
8CuTdV2.jpg

Then mortadella. Along with a savory element, the mortadella added structure to the layers.
Pl1NCX6.jpg

Repeat the layers 2 more times then marinara on top with just the Parmesan. Bake at 445F for 30 mins. Add the mozzarella then back in the MAK until the mozz is browned.
ceNInMp.jpg

Done!
HQbkgQe.jpg

Add some more marinara on top of my slice!
DZZCge7.jpg

Grate more Parmigiano Reggiano on top also! Mangia!! It was the best I've had and was easily worth the mess it made in the kitchen!! :)
v9UI39S.jpg

scooter

Cliff, I use the below recipe for the marinara which my whole family now uses. It's quick, simple and authentic. There are as many recipes for marinara sauce as there are Italian families that make it and I've found the ingredients tend to change from region to region.

When zucchini is back in season I'm going to try the parmigiana recipe with grilled zucchini.

Top Bottom