Misc. Prepurchase Questions - Wall of Text Edition

GoodRevrnd

In my compulsion for new toys, I've now landed on smoker. These are mostly MAK questions, and I realize I'm deep in MAK territory around here, but since I haven't committed yet, please forgive any non-MAK comments/questions.

After first looking around, I nearly bought a Yoder since it seemed like it offered the most in terms of space, build quality, [claimed] max temp, etc. at a decent price. Glad I held off though, because between the weight, thermal inconsistency, fuel burn, etc. it looks like there's more compelling options in that price range. I was initially rolling my eyes at recommendations like MAK and Memphis due to price, but became more receptive once I discovered you can generally grill on the better pellet units. So...

• MAK vs Memphis... It appears MAK has better smoke and Memphis does better grilling? The Memphis is a fair bit cheaper once you consider that it comes with Wifi.
  • What are the actual differences between the 1 & 2 Star? I see FlameZone, warm/smoke box, full panel sides, and tool hooks. I'm sure I want the FlameZone, but unclear if the other bits are really worth another $600.
  • Is there actually enough space in the stock 2 Star smoke box to do any useful smoking like a large batch of jerky?
  • I've read a meager handful of negative comments about uneven temperature from one side to another on MAK, possibly related to drip tray design (or some heat diffuser plate or something). However, I noticed these parts were all redesigned in the 2017 models? How is everyone finding their temp consistency, on new or old units?
  • Please explain why Teflon sear grates and griddle are a good idea. I love that they offer these fitted options, but Teflon in a grill?? MAK's site says teflon coated, but I found an old post on this site from MAK stating they're teflon impregnated anodized aluminum. But TIA is kind of sketchy. At best the process traps some teflon in the pores to further reduce friction and improve durability, at worst it's a glorified coating. Either way, the bulk of the teflon will bake off after a half dozen high temp cooks, so what's the point, why even expose us to the PTFE risk, and what are we actually getting with MAKs grates? I'm probably making too much of this when I can just buy regular hard anodize GrillGrates if I'm really worried.
  • Is anyone successfully doing sears on the stock wire grates, perhaps using the flip every minute method?
  • Not important enough to influence my buying decision, but I'm curious what temp you're able to get a pizza stone to.
  • Is getting two 50% upper grates the best choice for flexibility?
  • What am I REALLY getting for the large price increase over say a RecTec? I have seen almost no negative comments about MAK, but the RecTec doesn't appear to have any glaring flaws other than being ugly as sin.

I'm almost sold on MAK, but still have some concerns given the high price, and find the Porsche-like option pricing a bit off-putting. Spare me your "Well you wouldn't drive a Kia around the Nurburgring," comments. ;) Look forward to everyone's input.

jimsbarbecue

We have the MAK sear grates and Grill Grates. We use the grill grates more often, because they can be flipped over and mimic a BBQ fat top. Now we have two of the MAK sear grates and when doing burgers or steaks we use them. A lot of the accessories can be added later too. We had the full size upper rack and ended up getting two half racks which we use more.

TentHunter

This is long, so bear with me...

First things first... Welcome to the forum!

• MAK vs Memphis... It appears MAK has better smoke and Memphis does better grilling? The Memphis is a fair bit cheaper once you consider that it comes with Wifi.

I don't believe this holds true any longer with the redesigned MAK FlameZone. Not only does the MAK produce good smoke, but they're also better than ever at grilling.

I did a more detailed write-up about the 2017 FlameZone, searing grate & griddle, which may answer some of your questions, here: http://www.pelletsmoking.com/mak-ce...e-searing-grate-griddle-detailed-review-8450/

• What are the actual differences between the 1 & 2 Star? I see FlameZone, warm/smoke box, full panel sides, and tool hooks. I'm sure I want the FlameZone, but unclear if the other bits are really worth another $600.

Besides what you've mentioned (FlameZone & Cold-Smoke chamber), the 2 Star has an all stainless cook chamber.

The 1 Star cook chamber is aluminized steel with a 1200° powdercoat finish, and comes with a standard blank drip pan. You can add the FlameZone whenever you like.

Yes, you are going to want the FlameZone either way you go. It rocks! ;)

• Is there actually enough space in the stock 2 Star smoke box to do any useful smoking like a large batch of jerky?

I will let someone who has a 2 Star answer this one.

• I've read a meager handful of negative comments about uneven temperature from one side to another on MAK, possibly related to drip tray design (or some heat diffuser plate or something). However, I noticed these parts were all redesigned in the 2017 models? How is everyone finding their temp consistency, on new or old units?

My experience on both of my older MAK 1 Stars, as well as the new 2017: Because the grease tray is tilted down to the right to allow grease to drain, and heat rises, yes I do get SLIGHTLY hotter temps on the left side, but not enough that it's ever been a real issue.

Keep in mind ALL grills/smoker have their hot & cool spots. The same goes for cooking on the bottom versus an upper rack. The temps are going to be different. A lot of folks like to cook certain things on the upper rack, and other things on the bottom.

Overall, I have no complaints about evenness of temperature.

• Please explain why Teflon sear grates and griddle are a good idea...

Bruce (Mr. BBQ) or MAK DADDY can answer this one much better than I ever could. All I can say is I have the searing grate and griddle, and it's not a coating that can bake off like a teflon coated pan.

I have GrillGrates, but on our MAK I like the MAK searing grate much better.

• Is anyone successfully doing sears on the stock wire grates, perhaps using the flip every minute method?

I have pics in the FlameZone review of some tandoori style chicken done on the regular wire grates. You can get some nice char for sure, BUT I don't keep flipping every minute. That Maillard reaction needs time with the heat.

Also be sure to wear some gloves, unless you enjoy roasting the hair off your knuckles (don't ask me how I know)! :rolleyes:

• Not important enough to influence my buying decision, but I'm curious what temp you're able to get a pizza stone to.

We use pizza pans, so I can't answer this one.

Either way, pizza is FABULOUS on the MAK!

This no longer an option with the newer MAK's. They now offer an upper 1/2, 3/4, or full rack which slides into a slot.

A lot of folks like the 3/4 upper rack so they can reach food on the back of the bottom grate easier.

We opted for the full upper rack, because I need full capacity for a few large cooks I do each year.

We also have a half upper rack, which gets used occasionally.

• What am I REALLY getting for the large price increase over say a RecTec? I have seen almost no negative comments about MAK, but the RecTec doesn't appear to have any glaring flaws other than being ugly as sin.

A common question when people look at the MAKs. I can tell you that I have cooked on a couple Rec Tecs and while they are fine cookers, they are not a MAK.

What you get for the price difference is: Higher quality, more versatility and better control.

MAKs are built heavier, and with higher grade metal over all. The aluminized steel with a 1200° powder coat finish offers superior protection against rust. Even the screws are stainless steel. My original MAK 1 Star (now owned by my friend) is seven+ years old and has not a single spot of rust on it.

MAK's Pellet Boss controller is, hands down, the best in the industry. And then there's the FlameZone... it rocks!

A couple other things, which aren't so obvious:

1) Shipping is already included in the price of a MAK.

2) A lot of guys end up adding a third party downdraft baffle to a Rec Tec to get temps to even out better and keep smoke in longer, which adds another $100 to the cost.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

GoodRevrnd

Thanks for response!

I did a more detailed write-up about the 2017 FlameZone, searing grate & griddle, which may answer some of your questions, here: http://www.pelletsmoking.com/mak-ce...e-searing-grate-griddle-detailed-review-8450/
Previously read this, thanks for review. Reminded me another question I had, but I just reread your post again and figured it out (use of indirect covers).

the 2 Star has an all stainless cook chamber.
The 1 Star cook chamber is aluminized steel with a 1200° powdercoat finish, and comes with a standard blank drip pan.
This might be part of where I'm confused. Didn't they change the 2 Star so even though the whole unit is 304 stainless everything is powdercoated now anyway? I realize the 2* is still more durable, but it seems like we're talking about increasingly diminishing returns. Just want to be clear for weighing decisions.

I have pics in the FlameZone review of some tandoori style chicken done on the regular wire grates. You can get some nice char for sure, BUT I don't keep flipping every minute. That Maillard reaction needs time with the heat.
Roger, I see the chicken has some serious char. I wouldn't be flipping chicken thighs like that, but a thick steak to maximize crust while maintaining rareness--get that cast iron crust with grill flavor. Looks like it should handle this like a boss, and if not I guess an inverted GrillGrate would easily pick up the slack.

A common question when people look at the MAKs. I can tell you that I have cooked on a couple Rec Tecs and while they are fine cookers, they are not a MAK.

What you get for the price difference is: Higher quality, more versatility and better control.
What sort of better control? Are you just referring to MAK's very narrow temp swings or is there something else I'm not realizing? I guess programming in different cook profiles is a nice perk--don't recall if RecTec does anything like this.

2) A lot of guys end up adding a third party downdraft baffle to a Rec Tec to get temps to even out better and keep smoke in longer, which adds another $100 to the cost.
This is good info. I was already considering the RT a $1200 grill (shipping), which led me to researching if a 1* adds enough. There seem to be lots of little QOL design additions that really appeal to a lazy person such as myself. ;) FlameZone included on 1* would have made this a no-brainer.

sptucker

FWIW, I recently upgraded my MAK 2 to the new Flame Zone and have used both the MAK searing grate and the stock grill grates , and they both work great for searing. The only difference I can see is the grill marks are wider on the MAK searing grate, as one would expect... They both get really HOT. BTW, I usually only flip once, as most things I'm searing have already been sous-vide'd or warmed to rare/med rare before I sear them. I used the MAK griddle for some sesame-crusted ahi steaks this weekend, and they came out perfect, too. I put them on the griddle raw with a bit of oil, and did 2 minutes per side.

I have used a pizza stone a few times, and have been very very happy with the results. I figure it gets to the same temperature as the grates if you preheat it (which you should). I had an infrared thermometer at one point that showed my bottom grate at 625F with the Pellet Boss set on HIGH. That's significantly hotter than the internal thermometer was registering, as expected. I have not tried a pizza stone or a grate temp measurement with the new Flame Zone, but my guess is it would get even hotter now, based on what I've seen with general grilling.

The warming drawer on the MAK 2 would be awfully crowded with a batch of jerky (2lb is my typical size), but the top shelf of the main chamber does a great job with jerky using SMOKE mode. I also have the Super Smoker box and it will hold a ton of stuff if you wanted to go that route. It stays 90-100F cooler than the main chamber in my experience.

TentHunter

Sptucker has added some good info!

The whole MAK 2 Star is not all stainless. The cook chamber is all stainless, but the leg panels and such are the same Aluminized Steel with 1200 powder coat as the 1 Star. It is very durable and rust resistant.

Here are MAK's specs: 2 Star General | MAK Grill

By better control I mean the Pellet Boss maintains control better than other stock controllers AND gives you a lot more options such as being able to program in temps, times, etc.

As far as flipping, everyone has their favorite way of grilling steaks. Even thick steaks, I only flip once.

Hope this makes sense, and I can't wait to hear that you've ordered your MAK!

Cliff

scooter

The new MAKs are better than ever at grilling but I still prefer to do all my grilling over charcoal. Plus I don't like the beating super high heat puts on the outside of the cooking chamber of any pellet cooker. Also I've never liked the low ceiling in the Memphis and that smallish upper rack. In contrast to the high ceiling and full upper rack of a MAK with room to spare up there to cook just about anything. I cook 99.99% on my upper rack simply because the new upper vents are lower allowing smoke to linger over the upper rack plus I want the meat to be as far from the heat source as possible.
    I use the cold smoker as a place to put meat to keep warm or on top as a platter warmer while waiting to pull meat off so I'm not putting hot meat on a cold platter. For that alone I'm constantly using the cold smoker side of the cooker. I do occasional small batches of smoked cheese in there but I'm constantly using it as a platter warmer while waiting for the meat to finish cooking
    Depends on your definition of large. They do sell a Super Smoker box that sits on top of the cold smoker box if your serious about cold smoking large batches
    I noticed it more with my 2009 model 2 Star where it was warmer on the left side but it doesn't really matter because you should be rotating your meat throughout a cook anyway which eliminates any concern for potential hotspots.
    I used to get pretty good sears on my older 2009 model stock grates but have always preferred to sear over charcoal in my Weber kettle or drum
    I never measured the heat on my pizza stone in the 2009 model. Just remember on high getting a very nicely browned crust using the stone. I use a Uuni3 pellet fired pizza oven for that now. As I mentioned before I have an aversion to doing really hot cooks in my pellet cooker. Just know it can be nicely done if you want to.
    Again, I only ever cook on the upper rack so I don't see the need anymore for a 1/2 upper rack.
    I actually think the RecTec is nice looking with those horns for lid handles. You're paying for build quality and quality of materials used when you buy a MAK plus at 100% certified American made you're putting Americans to work. Some care about that and others don't. RecTec (And Yoder) is a new entry into the pellet cooker market and as such they are on a learning curve. MAK has been doing it since 2009 when their production 2 Stars began rolling out the door. What you get with a MAK is a cooker that will outlast you and you'll be able to will it to a loved one. When you buy MAK quality you'll only have to cry once. Buy a cheaper grill and sooner or later you'll be crying again (So to speak of course).

There is no other pellet grill manufacturer that I know of that has won more industry awards than MAK has. The Pellet Boss is the best quality controller on the market. Their MAK Mobile (WiFi) is superb. Their newly designed FlashFire starter is miles ahead of firerod igniters. The wheels never stop turning up there in Dallas, OR.
And there is no customer service out there that is better than MAKs.

Last edited:

GoodRevrnd

I don't believe this holds true any longer with the redesigned MAK FlameZone. Not only does the MAK produce good smoke, but they're also better than ever at grilling.

I read and appreciate your FlameZone overview. Hitting 600*+ should be adequate for my purposes.

and comes with a standard blank drip pan.
2* has a different drip pan?

Those certainly have some nice char. I read about the frequent flip technique in an amazingribs article and it actually makes a lot of sense. I gave up on grilling a while back and have been doing my nicer steaks in lower temp cast iron ('Ducasse method'). While the meat is much better this way, I sometimes miss the grill flavor (although not sure I'd get much out of high temp pellet cooking either). I'll have to play around with it

This no longer an option with the newer MAK's. They now offer an upper 1/2, 3/4, or full rack which slides into a slot.
Thanks for warning, missed that difference. Figured I'd just grab 3/4 then, but I assume it's mostly better to load the top grate first for smoking for more smoke + better temp control, so I guess I should get the full.

I did more reading and am now much more skeptical of RecTec's QC over the last 6-12 months. They're tossed off the list.

TBH I probably would have ordered by now, but then I discovered the DigiQ addon for WSM/Kamados. That's just enough ease of use addition to make me seriously consider those units, and I get a superior grill. However, it's still not close to pellet ease of use. Those units would probably never get used on a weekday. I also think a comparatively lighter flavor wood smoke would be preferable to charcoal smoking.

Forgive the analysis paralysis, but that's my nature and it's $1,800-$3,000.

TentHunter

I read and appreciate your FlameZone overview. Hitting 600*+ should be adequate for my purposes.

Yes, the 1 Star comes standard with the blank drip pan (Hopefully you can see it well enough in this pic).
xoj-F4jNp6eUMJ0woxonPYmuKVc2Il3M9bA-naAPONnm0OxOU6qcRKKcvN3CiDJRcR91UtaqDOtuXkNLeKTe2CwZRSR2mOD8TkIrgcrliotkMsktavevLEsJbT-FvRhTn8sUkHg4mLPJICkkkdNL-yQEcpcqDo0Yx3UYeOJborXm3BcaXSMoslDfsnXr0mUrjpkRtY_Xc5zlysuqXMzBxzO_yggQH9hz3PXvOeQT_MjxX52gEXHhb47kPxzKpLOmOuv_AlYF34E-MkCLlrfrNsSuPFO1vK_MugksqRVuxdXq9wt_7m97IeFOTlshIez1oZ3bosikw8eNNpiJSQgxuql8LaCZz_bJI2SdxX3MByJ4S2gZuZ-66D4t3kl37z7om2eEb1tac046gW_5WtpbdyLGaGxigbJ8XkhZ7zUYUUwyyit32pvcQ5j2Kb8YYekkk2ITCjVfjj7unvcocSrjwNGWG-yw13yP2Louu8YMWrhx5C62AUX1CKtjqbmr_iw--_FpPv0UFxQ2VQMC87fiR4sbhRvZLiiTo6yBipkzp4z6fU6XzRz-zQfI0kTfA4wtzpupjchXQhFmXrmWLg_FqCkH8PgeOIMHuO_wcGk=w740-h278-no

And the 2 Star comes with the FlameZone kit/drip pan already installed.

I added the FlameZone to my 2017 1 Star. Which is what you see in the FlameZone review

GoodRevrnd said:
Plus I don't like the beating super high heat puts on the outside of the cooking chamber of any pellet cooker.
Why? This thing is built like a tank. It's hard to envision any warping or heat cycle stress issues

Scooter, I have to admit, that comment threw me as well. There are plenty of gas grills out there that aren't built nearly as well as a MAK that don't have any issues.

I have no issues with the amount of heat on my 1 Star cook chamber whatsoever. Even my previous 1 Star used in Grill Mode numerous times shows absolutely no sign warping, powder coat damage, etc. The only issue was baked on grease stains from four years of heavy use.

Last edited:

TentHunter

To plug into the MAK, yes. The latest generation MAK probe are supposed to be much improved over previous ones.

But to be honest, I have a Maverick wireless thermometer that I've had since before we got our first MAK, and long before MAK came out with the WiFi option. It still works like a champ, so that's what I use most of the time.

GoodRevrnd

What are you cooking that's going to have a IT in excess of 350F?
Nothing. The description indicates they shouldn't be used if the cook chamber exceeds 350F. $20 Thermoworks probes are rated to 700F.

"The M-4 Probe should only be used for cooking at temperatures below 350F. The probe should NOT be used at cooking temperatures above 350F."

Salmonsmoker

Nothing. The description indicates they shouldn't be used if the cook chamber exceeds 350F. $20 Thermoworks probes are rated to 700F.

"The M-4 Probe should only be used for cooking at temperatures below 350F. The probe should NOT be used at cooking temperatures above 350F."

Hmm.....I didn't know that. I just looked it up, and sure enough. When I got my MAK I read everything from cover to cover, so I missed that info. I've never used the probe while in "grilling" mode. I have a Thermoworks "Smoke" and a Thermopen, and tend to use them a lot more. I didn't get the MAK mobile or the wifi. The "Smoke" gives me the remote feature, and I had it pre-MAK.

Masssmoke

Those certainly have some nice char. I read about the frequent flip technique in an amazingribs article and it actually makes a lot of sense. I gave up on grilling a while back and have been doing my nicer steaks in lower temp cast iron ('Ducasse method'). While the meat is much better this way, I sometimes miss the grill flavor (although not sure I'd get much out of high temp pellet cooking either). I'll have to play around with it

Thanks for warning, missed that difference. Figured I'd just grab 3/4 then, but I assume it's mostly better to load the top grate first for smoking for more smoke + better temp control, so I guess I should get the full.

I did more reading and am now much more skeptical of RecTec's QC over the last 6-12 months. They're tossed off the list.

TBH I probably would have ordered by now, but then I discovered the DigiQ addon for WSM/Kamados. That's just enough ease of use addition to make me seriously consider those units, and I get a superior grill. However, it's still not close to pellet ease of use. Those units would probably never get used on a weekday. I also think a comparatively lighter flavor wood smoke would be preferable to charcoal smoking.

Forgive the analysis paralysis, but that's my nature and it's $1,800-$3,000.

Hi GoodRevrnd,

I just went through the same process. I was going back and forth between the Rec Tec and the Yoder. I was leaning towards the Yoder (actually had it in the cart and was ready to hit the confirm button) but kept reading about the time to get up to temp, especially in cold weather plus the amount of fuel it consumes. I have the Big Green Egg and love all the food that comes out of it. The two issues I have with the egg is that it is hands on (even with the DigiQ which I have) and cooking capacity. This is what lead me to the Yoder/Rec Tec.

I have two small kids and the time the egg requires makes it harder to use every weekend. If you have time it is an awesome tool, but the space will still be an issue for larger cooks.

I started hearing more and more about the Maks and have yet to see a negative review (on this site or others). I decided on the Mak 1 Star as I primarily wanted to use it as a smoker. I did not get the Flamzone (yet) as I have a fairly new gas grill that I would use for direct cooking.

My Mak 1 Star was delivered on Thursday and I put it together Friday night. The install was straight forward. This is a really well built smoker. On Saturday I did the initial burn/seasoning and it couldn't have been easier.

I made a couple racks of ribs yesterday and they came out great. I can only compare the Mak 1 to cooking on the BGE. The Mak 1, I filled the hopper, turned it on and set it to 225. From start to finish this took about 15 mins, maybe less. To do the same thing on the BGE you are looking at 35-45 mins. It almost felt like cheating it was so easy with the Mak.

Hope this helps, good luck!

rwalters

The new MAKs are better than ever at grilling but I still prefer to do all my grilling over charcoal. Plus I don't like the beating super high heat puts on the outside of the cooking chamber of any pellet cooker. Also I've never liked the low ceiling in the Memphis and that smallish upper rack. In contrast to the high ceiling and full upper rack of a MAK with room to spare up there to cook just about anything. I cook 99.99% on my upper rack simply because the new upper vents are lower allowing smoke to linger over the upper rack plus I want the meat to be as far from the heat source as possible.
    I use the cold smoker as a place to put meat to keep warm or on top as a platter warmer while waiting to pull meat off so I'm not putting hot meat on a cold platter. For that alone I'm constantly using the cold smoker side of the cooker. I do occasional small batches of smoked cheese in there but I'm constantly using it as a platter warmer while waiting for the meat to finish cooking
    Depends on your definition of large. They do sell a Super Smoker box that sits on top of the cold smoker box if your serious about cold smoking large batches
    I noticed it more with my 2009 model 2 Star where it was warmer on the left side but it doesn't really matter because you should be rotating your meat throughout a cook anyway which eliminates any concern for potential hotspots.
    I used to get pretty good sears on my older 2009 model stock grates but have always preferred to sear over charcoal in my Weber kettle or drum
    I never measured the heat on my pizza stone in the 2009 model. Just remember on high getting a very nicely browned crust using the stone. I use a Uuni3 pellet fired pizza oven for that now. As I mentioned before I have an aversion to doing really hot cooks in my pellet cooker. Just know it can be nicely done if you want to.
    Again, I only ever cook on the upper rack so I don't see the need anymore for a 1/2 upper rack.
    I actually think the RecTec is nice looking with those horns for lid handles. You're paying for build quality and quality of materials used when you buy a MAK plus at 100% certified American made you're putting Americans to work. Some care about that and others don't. RecTec (And Yoder) is a new entry into the pellet cooker market and as such they are on a learning curve. MAK has been doing it since 2009 when their production 2 Stars began rolling out the door. What you get with a MAK is a cooker that will outlast you and you'll be able to will it to a loved one. When you buy MAK quality you'll only have to cry once. Buy a cheaper grill and sooner or later you'll be crying again (So to speak of course).

There is no other pellet grill manufacturer that I know of that has won more industry awards than MAK has. The Pellet Boss is the best quality controller on the market. Their MAK Mobile (WiFi) is superb. Their newly designed FlashFire starter is miles ahead of firerod igniters. The wheels never stop turning up there in Dallas, OR.
And there is no customer service out there that is better than MAKs.

Why? This thing is built like a tank. It's hard to envision any warping or heat cycle stress issues

Yes, the 1 Star comes standard with the blank drip pan (Hopefully you can see it well enough in this pic).
xoj-F4jNp6eUMJ0woxonPYmuKVc2Il3M9bA-naAPONnm0OxOU6qcRKKcvN3CiDJRcR91UtaqDOtuXkNLeKTe2CwZRSR2mOD8TkIrgcrliotkMsktavevLEsJbT-FvRhTn8sUkHg4mLPJICkkkdNL-yQEcpcqDo0Yx3UYeOJborXm3BcaXSMoslDfsnXr0mUrjpkRtY_Xc5zlysuqXMzBxzO_yggQH9hz3PXvOeQT_MjxX52gEXHhb47kPxzKpLOmOuv_AlYF34E-MkCLlrfrNsSuPFO1vK_MugksqRVuxdXq9wt_7m97IeFOTlshIez1oZ3bosikw8eNNpiJSQgxuql8LaCZz_bJI2SdxX3MByJ4S2gZuZ-66D4t3kl37z7om2eEb1tac046gW_5WtpbdyLGaGxigbJ8XkhZ7zUYUUwyyit32pvcQ5j2Kb8YYekkk2ITCjVfjj7unvcocSrjwNGWG-yw13yP2Louu8YMWrhx5C62AUX1CKtjqbmr_iw--_FpPv0UFxQ2VQMC87fiR4sbhRvZLiiTo6yBipkzp4z6fU6XzRz-zQfI0kTfA4wtzpupjchXQhFmXrmWLg_FqCkH8PgeOIMHuO_wcGk=w740-h278-no

And the 2 Star comes with the FlameZone kit/drip pan already installed.

I added the FlameZone to my 2017 1 Star. Which is what you see in the FlameZone review

Scooter, I have to admit, that comment threw me as well. There are plenty of gas grills out there that aren't built nearly as well as a MAK that don't have any issues.

I have no issues with the amount of heat on my 1 Star cook chamber whatsoever. Even my previous 1 Star used in Grill Mode numerous times shows absolutely no sign warping, powder coat damage, etc. The only issue was baked on grease stains from four years of heavy use.

Don't want to speak for Scooter, but from what he has mentioned to me previously, it's the beating, or the "browning" that can happen to stainless when it is exposed to high heat. For some, that change in appearance is bothersome. I don't like it either, as I want my almost $3k investment to look nice on my patio. With that said, I am convinced that the new Funnel Flame Zone does a very good job of keeping the HOT intense flame from directly hitting the exterior cooking chamber walls. I have a 2017 2 Star that I have been cooking on since last March. I have done a TON of high temp grilling, and the stainless is just as clean and shiny as the day I brought it home. I admit, I am quick to clean up grease that drips onto the exterior during a messy cook... and I clean the smoke stains off the rear of the cooker maybe twice/mo. But from my experience, I have seen absolutely no adverse affect to the appearance due to high temp cooking.

TentHunter

Don't want to speak for Scooter, but from what he has mentioned to me previously, it's the beating, or the "browning" that can happen to stainless when it is exposed to high heat. For some, that change in appearance is bothersome. I don't like it either, as I want my almost $3k investment to look nice on my patio. With that said, I am convinced that the new Funnel Flame Zone does a very good job of keeping the HOT intense flame from directly hitting the exterior cooking chamber walls. I have a 2017 2 Star that I have been cooking on since last March. I have done a TON of high temp grilling, and the stainless is just as clean and shiny as the day I brought it home. I admit, I am quick to clean up grease that drips onto the exterior during a messy cook... and I clean the smoke stains off the rear of the cooker maybe twice/mo. But from my experience, I have seen absolutely no adverse affect to the appearance due to high temp cooking.

Yeah I guess I can see where discolored Stainless might bother some. And I agree, the new FlameZone does a terrific job at keeping the intense heat away from the body of the cook chamber which is making grease cleanup a lot easier.

I too have done a lot more grilling on this new MAK & FlameZone than our previous one. In fact, now that I think of it, I haven't bought a single bag of charcoal since upgrading to the new MAK & FlameZone. It really is that good! :cool:

Last edited:
Top Bottom