Gear junkie thinking about a MAC

Joe Yeti

Hi Everyone,

I am a closet chef/foodie with G.A.S. (Gear Acquisition Syndrome). I love cooking and great food. I have a large BGE, a Weber Natural Gas Summit Grill, a wood fired Pizza oven, A Smokin it #3 Electric Smoker, and a Wood Fired Pizza Oven. OK - I have a problem :D. My REAL problem is I find that I am not using the tools that make the BEST food as much anymore. Maybe I am getting old, but coming home after work I just do not want to go through the chore of getting the Egg ready for a cook so I end up using the electric for smokes and the gas Weber for grilling. Sure the food is OK, some even good, but it is not like it is when I use the Egg. Doing a low and slow 200 degree prime rib on the Electric smoker is rather lackluster compared to the BGE that gives me a 130 degree mahogany masterpiece with no grey banding.

A few years back I got in this same rut and bought a Traeger Texas on a whim. It had crazy temperature swings, dialing in one temp on the dial never came close to the actual run temps. I even tried adding bricks to increase the thermal mass hoping it would even out, all that did was make the cart wobbly. I sold it 2 months later for a beating on Craigslist.

I am about to redo my 20x16 screen room and are thinking about evicting my electric smoker (and the 2 basket Cajun Fair fryer I somehow bought and do not use - Cajun Fryer 6 Gallon Deep Fryer With Stand And 2 Baskets : BBQ Guy) and getting another pellet grill. What caught my attention was the RecTec 700. It has a PID controller and a ceramic ignitor and is made of 10 gauge steel with stainless on the cooking areas. It is about $1750 delivered. Then i started doing a lot more reading and saw MAK grills and liked the 2 star. It seems pretty clear that the MAK is a better device after doing a lot of reading. I am a STRONG made in USA believer as well.

Have any of you MAK owners come from or have a BGE? Do you get the same quality flavor as the Egg? If you sold your egg do you have any regrets? My plan would be to keep the 2 Webers and the Pizza oven and get rid of the Egg, and the Smokin it #3 in trade for the MAK 2 star. While it would be nice to wood fire grill some nice thick RibEyes, I do not expect to be able to do that on a pellet grill as well as I can with a Sous Vide and a Weber (although it would be nice). I would LOVE to be able to cook a Lasagna at 350 degrees and get some wood fired hints, or even a loaf of 425 bread or soft pretzels without investing 4 hours in firing up the pizza oven.

I welcome and appreciate your input.

TentHunter

Joe Yeti said:
I am a closet chef/foodie with G.A.S. (Gear Acquisition Syndrome). I love cooking and great food. I have a large BGE, a Weber Natural Gas Summit Grill, a wood fired Pizza oven, A Smokin it #3 Electric Smoker, and a Wood Fired Pizza Oven. OK - I have a problem .

Yeah but that's the GOOD kind of problem to have! :D

OK All kidding aside, welcome to the forum!

As far as the quality of smoke from BGE versus a MAK, is it the same? No; it's a much cleaner tasting smoke profile that I enjoy a lot more. I am not a fan of ceramic cookers. The food always seems to taste either like stale smoke or over-smoked to me.

Before I switched to pellet cookers, I always worked hard with my stick/charcoal burners to get a small hot fire that burned cleanly and put off a light blueish-gray smoke, almost invisible at times. That's the kind of smoke profile I get from our MAK.

Joe Yeti said:
While it would be nice to wood fire grill some nice thick RibEyes, I do not expect to be able to do that on a pellet grill as well as I can with a Sous Vide and a Weber (although it would be nice).

I think you'd be surprise at just how well the new MAK FlameZone kits work. I have no problems grilling on my 1 Star with the new FlameZone.

I have a review of it here (the 1 & 2 Stars use the same FlameZone kit): http://www.pelletsmoking.com/mak-ce...e-searing-grate-griddle-detailed-review-8450/

In fact my wife got me a really nice heavy set of long leather gloves (like welding gloves) for when I'm grilling, because I can only stand losing the hair on my arms so many times! :D

Can't help you on the MAK vs BGE, but I can tell you that I smoke, grill, and use as convection oven on my 2 Star. I only use my Weber Kettle, which I love, only to sear at really high temperatures that the MAK can't do. That said, I have a single flame zone MAK from 2011.
I cook anything I can on the MAK, because that is where it comes out the best.

Porque Pig

If you're a gear junkie, like smoky flavor, love made in the USA, and are getting tired of the afterwork chores of setting up to cook, you pretty much gotta get the MAK. I spent over 1/2 a year researching and ended up getting the 2 star. It's sizable investment, and I couldn't be happier. I'll admit I don't have any previous pellet smoker experience (a lot of 26" Weber kettle and gas grill, and my dad's BGE), but I recently saw some other pellet smokers at the Fred Hall fishing show and man I was stoked I bought the MAK. All the other ones that I saw seem so cheap in comparison. Above CONSISTENTLY killer food, it's really beautiful too. I think you'll have a blast just putting it together.

Gunny

Welcome to the site....good choice on your cooker, you won't find a better built or consistent cooker than MAK JMHO

rwalters

I cooked on Kamado Joes for years. Sold em’ all when I acquired my MAK. Absolutely zero regret. The only other grill I have is a 26” Weber kettle. My MAK does 95% of my cooking :)

Top Bottom