Disneyland Style Smoked Turkey Legs

I have tried this before, but did not brine. Decided to try a different method. Brined, then smoked. Came out great!

First, brined over night in a brine recipe I received from a friend at work. Only brined for 14 hours, but will do it for at least 24 hours in the future.

9v7ABwG.jpg

After brining over night, I rinsed, seasoned with Plowboys Yardbird and Killer Hogs BBQ rub, then put on the MAK 2 Star on smoke for an hour:

1Xfos78.jpg

After an hour on smoke, I raised to 225°F:

6dq0eO7.jpg

After a total of 4 hours (1 on smoke, 3 at 225°F), the IT was 165°F. I pulled an let rest for 15 minutes:

u13UiBn.jpg

Definitely not bite through skin. May raise temp for last half hour next time. But, these were real good and will do again:

0w46d5Q.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:

TentHunter

Nice! I love those things!
icon14.png

Yep, a guy at a local fair let it slip to me (years ago) how they did them. They're brine-cured in a ham brine (includes some Cure #1) for about 48 hours to give them that hammy quality.

I'd forgotten I made a post, "County Fair Style Turkey Legs", years ago with the recipe I use (it's an old, old post - had to search for it).

Now you've got me wanting some! :cool:

jimsbarbecue

High heat at the end will crisp the skin. We take the meat off turn the pit up and when it gets to temp put the meat back on

Top Bottom