Best Ribeye or any steak rub ever.

agaffer

My favorite resturaunt in LA is MOZZA, a joint effort by Nancy Silverton and Mario Batali. For some of their beef recipes they brought in Chef Adam Perry Lang who wrote the book Serious Barbecue. Usually steak is not what I would order from a Italian restaurant but, one time I did order the Ribeye. It remains the best steak I have ever had. When the first MOZZA cookbook came out I immediately bought it when I saw the recipe for the Ribeye steak was in it.

What isn't in it is the method they use to cook it. So, don't know if it is done through Sous-Vida, reverse sear, or just plain cooked on a grill. Of course, the meat is also prime but, I don't spend the money for that. I am happy with CAB choice.

What makes this rub so different is that it has ground to a powder, Porcini Mushroom in it. Here is what the ingredients are:
2 oz. dried porcini, grind in a spice mill until powder
1 Tablespoons red pepper flakes ground to a powder
1/4 cup sugar
2 Tablespoons kosher salt
2 Tablespoons coarse black pepper

Put the rub on the beef and wrap it in sticky wrap. Put the beef back in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or better, 12 hours. Before grilling add more salt and pepper to taste. Go ahead and grill it. If you really want to step it up a notch, make a brush out of herbs like rosemary, thyme, oregano, whatever herbs you like and brush some melted butter on the steak while it is cooking. In the end cut up the brush on a cutting board and add some olive oil and let the steak rest on this. Enjoy.

Last edited:

TentHunter

That sounds really good! I will need to get some dried porcini mushrooms and give this a try!

How many steaks will that amount do?

agaffer

At least four, maybe more. Dried porcini mushrooms are not expensive and are available at all supermarkets.

Geezer

I've used porcini powder based rub on most cuts of beef for quite a while, I combine it with truffle salt and black pepper. I'll have to try adding sugar and cayenne pepper the next time I cook. Thanks for posting recipe.

jeff_g

Thanks for posting, agaffer!
As for us, we use a marinade that was used in a restaurant here - 1/2 cup italian salad dressing, 1/2 cup margarita mix, tsp crushed garlic, 2 tbsp montreal steak seasoning. Mix them altogether in a large ziploc and add the steaks - enough for 2 or 3 steaks depending on size. Turn bag over every 8 hours or so - let marinate for up to 2 days.

Top Bottom