Frozen Meals For College Student.

docbar85

I recently cooked several boston butts, pulled the meat, seasoned with some barbeque sauce and froze in some vacuum sealed bags for my son in college. I want to do some other meats and would welcome advise on how to prepare them. My first thought is doing some chuck roast and using some type of sauce to freeze with it. I'm also wondering how some chicken thighs, whole chickens, turkeys would be done in a similar way would be. Any advice or recipes would be welcomed and thanks in advance.

mcschlotz

Hmm... I can hear the 'dear dad' story coming on. I'm in college, we eat pizza, tacos, burgers, coffee and other beverages we won't discuss... having a great time exploring my freedom. See you during the summer.... :rolleyes:

docbar85

Hmm... I can hear the 'dear dad' story coming on. I'm in college, we eat pizza, tacos, burgers, coffee and other beverages we won't discuss... having a great time exploring my freedom. See you during the summer.... :rolleyes:

You are just about spot on. He had it made at home, his on bedroom, bathroom and an additional room that could be used for whatever. I thought he would miss it and be coming home every weekend (2 hrs. drive), that's not the case.
But he doesn't drink, does really good in school, always has, and likes going to the gym unlike me the pool hall and bars.
So anything I can do to help out I try to, and I really enjoy cooking on the rectec. Makes the neighborhood smell good while I'm outside working.

mcschlotz

Sounds like he has been brought up well! Doesn't drink, another BIG PLUS!!! Personally, I think it would be cool to have smoked yummies around on demand. Also agree, there's nothing better than filling the neighborhood with the wonderful smell of meat smoking ;)

bsktball55

I lived with my cousin in college. His dad had a 500 gallon diesel tank that was converted into a smoker. We always had big family gatherings and he would load up the grill with pork tenderloins, bacon wrapped chicken, pork steaks, and a bunch of other stuff. He was a farmer that sold most of their grain to Tyson so he had the hookup with getting chicken for cheap. Anyway, after dinner, my cousin and I would vacuum pack all the left overs and take them back to college with us. College kids love good, free food.

FullBoreBBQ

If you are using a FoodSaver type vacuum system try freezing the foods before sealing them. This is especially true for meats with sauces or soups. If you don't you can pull the liquids up to the sealer and have issues with the liquids boiling and getting a poor seal.
Not an issue with a chamber style machine, but they are expensive.

Top Bottom