MAK Grills Tech Talk, 304 Stainless Steel

MAK DADDY

We get asked this question a lot "my old grill was stainless and it rusted out, what makes the MAK stainless different?"

At MAK Grills, we use 304 stainless steel (sometimes called 18-8 for screws and nuts) for all our stainless-steel construction including all the hardware. 304 stainless steel is high in chromium (which adds strength), and high in nickel and low in carbon (which reduce corrosion). 304 grade stainless steel is used in ship building, industrial kitchens and the medical field due to its strength and resistance to corrosion.

Most Chinese-made grills use 430 stainless steel which has 0.0% nickel content, making it more prone to rust and salt corrosion, less durable and far less workable (403 stainless steel will often crack if pressed). The lack of nickel makes 400 series cheaper, meaning it’s more suitable for off shore mass production.
Not only does nickel decrease corrosion and pitting, it also improves the workability of the metal, making it possible to cut, form and weld parts with greater precision. Our parts are manufactured to tolerances of 10 thousandths of an inch, a level of accuracy that makes MAK very unique.

According to the American Society for Testing and Materials’ A240 specifications, 304 stainless steel contains 8-10.5% nickel, making it non-magnetic. A good way to test whether you’re looking at 304 stainless steel or not is to slap a magnet on it—if it sticks, than it is a cheaper, lower grade of stainless steel.

Did you know: The exterior of the Gateway Arch in St. Louis, MO is made from 886 Tons of 304 Stainless Steel!

Flick

Last edited:

rwalters

Thanks Bob!

I for one LOVE the durability of the SS used on the 2 Star! That said, I do know that one of MAK’s competitors uses a different grade of SS that they claim to be just as good as 304 (it’s either 201 or 202). Can you talk to the differences and enlighten us? This is not the company, but here is an article that I found online. Is this article truthful or blowing smoke?

The Difference Between Stainless Steels | Summerset Grill

Love learning about this stuff :)

MAK DADDY

Yes, that looks correct to me. The biggest take away from this information is about possible corrosion, all other stainless is measured against 304 as it is the best of the best :) Here are a couple more slides that show the differences.

Flick
Flick

rwalters

Thanks for the additional info! Sure glad you guys don’t cut corners (cheap out) and go with anything less than the best :)

Top Bottom