After several years, a rookie mistake?

mcschlotz

When the weather & health went the wrong way the MAK sat covered on the deck for the last two months. What I didn't remember was not dumping the remaining pellets from the hopper. Went to fire up the 2 Star yesterday and found the hopper 1/4 full with some having started to deteriorate, so I dumped those only to discover a solid mass of broken down pellets encapsulating the auger. ARGH! What a rookie mistake!

The good news, (BEFORE any attempt to start it up) I was able to whittle out the majority of the solidified mess and when powered up, the auger was able to work the rest through. Whew!!! Never had experienced this because the MAK is smoking something on a regularly basis.

Mental note: EMPTY THE HOPPER when done!

Matt

dubob

Humidity concerns

I'm lucky to live in an area of the country where the median humidity level hangs around 30%. And my grill is stored inside my garage and out of the inclement weather. I also have a full cover to keep the dust off. I'm guessing that I shouldn't have much if any concerns about leaving the hopper full at all times. But if other western state users from dry states have had bad experiences in this area, please advise. I've only owned a pellet grill for about 3 weeks now.

Salmonsmoker

I live a stone's throw(well maybe not that close) from Puget Sound, east of Everett WA, where it seems to rain all winter. Probably the longest time between uses of my MAK has been a month. I haven't experienced deteriorating pellets in my hopper to this point. My MAK is stored outside on the deck underneath the roof overhang with the MAK cover.

I live in Nor Cal. I have a MAK cover, but it is the weakest BBQ cover I have. I have owned two of them, but the only improvement on #2 is Velcro around the wheels. Sorry MAK Daddy, but your covers are not what you pay for. I no longer cover my MAK and have only had a problem with solidifying pellets once. I will not cover anymore and take my chances. I would much rather see a Weber type cover.

mcschlotz

I live in Nor Cal. I have a MAK cover, but it is the weakest BBQ cover I have. I have owned two of them, but the only improvement on #2 is Velcro around the wheels. Sorry MAK Daddy, but your covers are not what you pay for. I no longer cover my MAK and have only had a problem with solidifying pellets once. I will not cover anymore and take my chances. I would much rather see a Weber type cover.

You might want to check out the later covers. My MAK-2's cover has clips on both sides. When engaged with their female counter part they gather any excess material and eliminate the wind from blowing the cover off. Actually quite pleased with it, here in Indiana.

MAK DADDY

We switched cover manufactures a couple years ago and the fabric as well, it called Spectraloc.
Made right here in Oregon :)

Salmonsmoker

You might want to check out the later covers. My MAK-2's cover has clips on both sides. When engaged with their female counter part they gather any excess material and eliminate the wind from blowing the cover off. Actually quite pleased with it, here in Indiana.

I have the new style cover and it's great! Well made.

Top Bottom