Is your pellet grill PID controlled?

dubob

I have a Bradley 4-rack smoker that has an Auber Instruments PID Controller attached. Absolutely love it for temp control and programming different temps/times for excellent smoked meats. I recently added a Camp Chef Woodwind SG w/ Sear Box to my outdoor cooking equipment and wondered if there is a PID Controller available for my Woodwind.

I called Auber Instruments and asked them if they had a PID controller for the Woodwind. Yes and no. They make a unit (SYL-2372/SYL-2372P) that would work, but it requires an electronics background to install. It is NOT a plug & play unit like my Bradley unit is.

They also furnish on of their units to Savannah Stoker, a company that makes a controller replacement for pellet grills ($189.00). Auber Instruments does not sell that on their website. The Stoker is supposed to be a plug & play unit and is listed for Camp Chef but an adapter plate ($15.00) is required.

So, are there any pelletsmoking.com members who have used a Savannah Stoker replacement controller on their pellet grill? Grill brand name not important, but if you did it on a CC, that would be even better.

sschorr

I had a Camp Chef DLX, the generation prior to your Woodwind. They are basically the same construction. I bought a PID from SmokeDaddy and used it quite successfully on the CC. Theirs is called a Pellet Pro PID. It also requires an adapter plate to fit the CC. It costs $179 with the plate.

dubob

I had a Camp Chef DLX, the generation prior to your Woodwind. They are basically the same construction. I bought a PID from SmokeDaddy and used it quite successfully on the CC. Theirs is called a Pellet Pro PID. It also requires an adapter plate to fit the CC. It costs $179 with the plate.
Did it replace the original built in controller or add to it?

sschorr

Replaced. SmokeDaddy also sells a complete retooling kit that includes PID, stainless steel fire pot, new igniter, new fan motor and new auger motor. I would think, however, that the PID controller (and it includes a new RTD probe) is sufficient for what you are seeking.

Top Bottom