First EVER beef rib cook coming up.

dubob

I’ve purchased a beef ‘center cut back rib’ and intend to do a pellet cook on it later this week. It will be a low & slow cook to be sure. I already have a good recipe from AmazingRibs and will be using it on this cook. I have a question about what they are called on the cryovac package. What the Heck does ‘Center Cut’ mean? Also, this cook will be a nekked cook because that’s what’s recommended for beef ribs. Any comments before I start? ❓

TentHunter

I almost never do Beef ribs naked for the whole cook, as they benefit greatly from a braise in foil for a while after smoking for a few hours. This is for beef back ribs, short ribs, etc. And it also cuts down on the cooking time. I like foiling them with just a bit of beer, or hard cider, and bumping the temp up to around 300 or so for a good hour and a half to two hours, then back out and on the grill again to glaze.

Mine usually take anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour longer to cook than pork ribs. Again, foiling really helps with this!

There are different cuts of beef ribs, just like there are for pork ribs. Beef back ribs are the same as baby (loin) back ribs from a pig, from high on the back coming off the spine. Center cut means they are basically the center seven rib bones . Short ribs (and beef plate short ribs) are basically the equivalent of pork spare ribs; the lower half of the ribs close the the short plate (front) or naval (back), I've cooked them all and they are all good!

http://www.pelletsmoking.com/mak-central-14/combo-beef-rib-cook-mak-8596/?highlight=beef+ribs

Last edited:

dubob

Pellet grill cook today. Salted & peppered the rack last night and put in the fridge overnight.
NKCSTm7.jpg

Put it on the grill this AM at about 11 AM. Set the temp to high smoke (220F). Checked on them several times and it hit 200F IT at about 2 PM. Surprised it happened that quick. I guess it was because these were back ribs (meat between the bones instead of short ribs with the meat on top the bones. The thickness of my rack was only about 1 inch.

But I pulled a rookie blunder; I forgot to apply any rub before putting them on the grill. I guess I can always use some sauce to liven them up a tad come dinner time.

Pulled them, wrapped them in foil and a blanket, and put them in a cooler. Here they are hot off the grill.
vBkcqkJ.jpg

They'll rest for a couple hours before its time to eat.

dubob

Okay, the results are in; the ribs were okay. Not great, but okay. I think being back ribs instead of short ribs was a factor in how they turned out. The flavor was very good, but the texture was slightly dry and not all that tender. I think back ribs might be better done SV or Instant Pot. I'll look for some really thick short ribs for my next beef rib cook on the CC. We'll be eating the SV back ribs tonight after a 48 hour bath at 146F. Film at 11. :eek:

dubob

The 48 hour at 146F SV beef back ribs were awesome. Tender, perfect color & texture, moist, and almost fell off the bones. Any beef back ribs done at my house in the future will be done SV. Jury is still out on how to do beef short ribs, but when I get them, they will be done on the CC to start. It won't be done in the next week or two. I already have a rack of baby backs and a rack of St Louis ribs to be done first. And, I have to try a beer can chicken before too long. Life is good.

TentHunter

Okay, the results are in; the ribs were okay. Not great, but okay. I think being back ribs instead of short ribs was a factor in how they turned out. The flavor was very good, but the texture was slightly dry and not all that tender. I think back ribs might be better done SV or Instant Pot. I'll look for some really thick short ribs for my next beef rib cook on the CC. We'll be eating the SV back ribs tonight after a 48 hour bath at 146F. Film at 11. :eek:

Back ribs don't have as much fat as shorts. Before you go SV again... try foiling them next time as suggested in my above post using the toothpick test to test for doneness/tenderness. I've been cooking beef ribs for about 35 years (I love 'em), and all types (back, shorts, etc.) really benefit from the braise. Moist, tender & smoky every time.

Only when they are especially fatty do they seem to do okay naked, and then a water pan in the smoker helps A LOT.

Here are a couple more examples:

http://www.pelletsmoking.com/pellet...ibs-surf-turf-style-6319/?highlight=beef+ribs

This one was beef short rib & pork baby backs cooked together!
http://www.pelletsmoking.com/pelletsmoking-com-gallery-10/ribs-uhm-ribs-6563/?highlight=beef+ribs

Last edited:
Top Bottom