Smoked Rainbow trout fillets

dubob

I took a buddy fishing last Thursday and we hammered some cookie cutter rainbow trout to the tune of about 30 of them. The term ‘cookie cutter’ is the local term for hatchery planted 10 to 12 inch trout. We kept our legal limit of 4 trout each and released all the rest. Went back to the same reservoir Friday and caught 24 more and kept our 4 each.

Mine were all filleted and put into some brine Friday night. My brine recipe consists of the following:
1 gallon cold water
10 oz Teriyaki sauce
5 oz orange juice
1/3 cup pickling salt
2 cups brown sugar
2 Tbsp garlic powder
1 Tbsp cayenne pepper

Pulled them from the brine on Saturday morning and laid out on frog mats and set aside to glaze over. After the glaze (pellicle) formed, I sprinkled heavily with some more brown sugar. I then fired up the CC Woodwind at 160*F (low smoke) and placed the two fish laden frog mats on the grill and let ‘er rip.

I really like my smoked fish having a sweet after taste and that’s why I cut back on the salt in the brine and add the brown sugar on top of the glaze. You can readjust the recipe if you like saltier smoked fish. And the cayenne pepper just gives a hint of spice and is not overpowering at all.

At the 3 hour point, I checked for doneness and they looked to be about perfect, so I pulled them off and my bride gave me a thumbs up after sampling. Life is good and I’m lovin’ this pellet thingy. :D

i8K9TYq.jpg

iaywS0r.jpg

uj44Rmp.jpg

Top Bottom