What Pellet Brand Are You Using?

nileriver

I was curious about the brand of pellets the people on this forum use. I am looking to spend no more than $1 a pound.

dubob

I use Lumber Jack Comp MHC and get it for $10/20lb bag out the door from a household vender locally. I like things as simple as they can be and using only one flavor pellet for ALL my cooks is as simple as it gets. I am NOT a BBQ competitor and I cook to please myself only. I'm a very happy pellet cooking novice. :D

sschorr

CookinPellets Perfect Mix - $37/40 lb bag off Amazon Prime (no shipping cost). CookinPellets Black Cherry off Amazon Prime for $37.50/40 Lb bag. I've also done 100% Applewood and 100% Oak. Oak in pellet form is getting hard to find - Lumberjack has discontinued theirs although there a few bags left on Amazon.

All these are under $1.00/Lb.

TentHunter

I'm using some BBQer's Delight, but mainly Lumber Jack because I can get it locally. Both are great pellets. I have also used some CookingPellets Perfect Mix (which burn even better mixed 50/50 with oak).

Oak in pellet form is getting hard to find - Lumberjack has discontinued theirs although there a few bags left...

Lumber Jack has not discontinued 100% oak as far as I know. It's still listed on their website, and I still get it locally to mix with 50/50 with Apple, Hickory, MHC blend (a.k.a. Competition Blend), etc.

I like getting the 100% Apple, Hickory & MHC Blend to use in my A-Maze-N tube for cold smoking, then mix them 50/50 with oak for use in the hopper. Mixed 50/50 with oak they burn cleaner, with no notable change in flavor.

sschorr

Lumber Jack has not discontinued 100% oak as far as I know. [/QUOTE said:
Hmmm. Lumberjack's Amazon page says it is "discontinued by manufacturer". I assumed this was LJ's decision as many of their other pellets do not have that statement on Amazon. I never went to their site as I have Amazon Prime, so no shipping costs and fast delivery make it my "go to" for most things.

TentHunter

Guys, as a gentle reminder, PLEASE remember the rules for this site:

Big Poppa Smokers is who owns and sponsors this forum, which is intended to promote all things pellet grill related, which in turn helps BPS' sell product. As such, this not an outlet to advertise for competitors/other retail outlets.

Here's the rule: Please feel free to talk about anything pellet-related, even brands of other products. BUT, if it's a type of product that Big Poppa Smokers sells (smokers, pellets, rubs, etc.), then PLEASE refrain from posting WHERE to buy them. People can find the products on their own, if they wish.

Also remember making a small purchase from the Big Poppa Smokers store helps to support this site!

Again, this is not intended as a scold to anyone, just a reminder.

Thanks!

Have always use BBQ Delight. I use oak, hickory, pecan, apple, and cherry. I buy the small packs of 100% flavor wood for my tube smokers.

jeff_g

I've used: Traeger (hickory, CS/FE (hickory + mesquite), Fast Eddy's Hickory (100%), BBQ Delight (hickory + peach), Lumberjack Hickory (100%) - and after all Lumberjack is my personal fav. Blends sometimes to make it cheaper.

MrPizzle

I’ve just switched to the Pitt Boss Charcoal pellets and noticed 2 things:
1. They burned hotter than the standard pellets and took forever for the digital controlled temps to level out.
2. They really did add a nice charcoal flavor to the ribs.
I have some Lumber Jack Charcoal pellets on the way to test as well.

WCBBQ

Can anyone say why Lumber Jack discontinued their oak pellets? And why might they be getting hard to find?

sschorr

Can anyone say why Lumber Jack discontinued their oak pellets? And why might they be getting hard to find?

Big Poppa has gone almost exclusively with BBQ Delight including their 100% Oak. You can still get Lumberjack 100% Oak on the big internet retailer if you must have that specific brand.

TentHunter

There's a listing on Amazon that says "Discontinued by manufacturer," but I don't think it's true. I can still get them here with no trouble, and they still list them on their website.

Last edited:

383inTheD

Bear Mountain is now available at Home Depot and Tractor Supply. It's become a commodity and unless you are buying in bulk I don't see how internet orders can compete with local pickup.

Top Bottom