Smoked Mexican Meatloaf

dubob

We've always done this in the oven and it is our favorite (only) meatloaf recipe. My wife developed it over time to its present recipe. I thought it might be a good idea to try it in the CC Woodwind pellet grill. The results were fantastic and will be done again. I'll get to the recipe shortly, but first, here is the mixture formed into 3 loaves and ready to go into the grill.

iCWDQ1O.jpg

Set the grill for 225*F and put a temp probe in each loaf. Alarm set for 160*F.

The loaf on the left side of my grill was about 10 degrees hotter than the other 2 throughout the cook. It reached 160 a full 15 minutes before the other 2. I covered the top and sides with Blues Hog Smokey Mountain Sauce and cooked for another 10 minutes. This is what it looked like.

X66CWa2.jpg

I gave 3 of my neighbors each a half a loaf and the raves were humbling. I do think I have a winner.

If you would like to try it, here is the recipe:

Mexican Meatloaf
(Hotness is somewhere between mild & medium)
Ingredients
1. 1 to 1 ½ lbs ground meat (beef, venison, elk, etc)
2. 1 lb tube of Jimmy Dean HOT sausage
3. 2 eggs
4. 1 medium finely diced onion
5. 1 finely diced green pepper
6. ¾ cup oatmeal
7. 2 packages of Taco Seasoning mix
8. 3-4 spoons of Salsa OR BBQ Sauce **
Directions
Preheat oven to 350*F OR smoker/pellet grill to 225*F.
Combine items 1 thru 7 above.
For oven, place mixture in a foil lined loaf pan 9” X 13” size works well.
Cook at 350*F for 1 hour and 20 minutes or until internal temperature (IT) is 160*F.
For smoker/pellet grill, form into 3 loaves and place on a foil covered baking/cookie sheet.
Smoke at 225*F for 2 hours or until IT is 160*F.
When the IT reaches 160*F, cover the outside of each loaf with either the Salsa OR the BBQ Sauce and continue to cook for an additional 10 (BBQ Sauce) or 15 (Salsa) minutes.

** We like Newman’s Own Salsa and Blues Hog Smokey Mountain BBQ Sauce. You can’t go wrong with either choice.

TentHunter

Dang, that looks good! I'll be trying a modified version (my own sausage, my own taco seasoning, and no oats) of this soon.

dubob

Dang, that looks good! I'll be trying a modified version (my own sausage, my own taco seasoning, and no oats) of this soon.
Most folks use dried bread crumbs to help hold it together. My bride doesn't eat bread of any kind, so substituted the oats to help hold it together. You will notive in the before picture I didn't have any problem in forming the loaves and they held that shape all throughout the cook.

Using your own sausage & seasoning will only increase the enjoyment - I'm sure. Go for it. 😁

TentHunter

Most folks use dried bread crumbs to help hold it together. My bride doesn't eat bread of any kind, so substituted the oats to help hold it together.

I avoid breads & grains (including oats) as well, so I'll just leave that out and add an egg or two.

scooter

Interesting take on meatloaf! Thank you for sharing! There is no better way to cook meatloaf than on a smoker or barrel!

Top Bottom