Hello from the Rocket City!

Dano

Hi, my name is Dano and I am a newbie pellet smoker!

As has happened to many, I suppose, a week before Memorial Day weekend, I discovered that my gas grill was unreparable. I shopped online, got overwhelmed, and decided to just hit the Home Depot and see what was in stock. The gas grills were all flimsier than they used to be when I bought my last gas grill 15 years ago. They had pellet grills all over the place in there, so I did some reading, did some talking, and decided to give a pellet grill a try. (The $100 off sale helped!)

I pulled the Traeger on an Eastwood 22. My son and I set it up, did the burn in and then grilled some bbq chicken on it last weekend. It came out juicier than usual - coincidence???

For Memorial Day, we are putting it to the test with smoking some ribs. Our chicken test was at high temp, so there wasn't much smoke. But today, it's on the smoke setting, and I keep peeking out the window looking for the tbs. So far so good!

My only reservation about the pellet grill / smoker is that, since I am a woodworker, I have an abundance of oak scrap that I used to use in my gas smoker. I also get all the pecan, cherry, and other species that I can carry free from the lumber mill scrap pit, but I suppose I won't be able to use them now. I'm going to search the forums for pellet mill info. It might be worth it!

Happy Memorial Day, everyone! Don't forget to say a few words of thanks to our fallen before you cut into that smoke ring. ;)

TentHunter

Welcome to the forum!

I love that we're starting to get some new members! Let's see that new pellet grill in action!

Dano

I didn't get any action shots in the Traeger, cuz, you know, if you're lookin, you ain't cookin. :p

I was pleasantly surprised at how much smoke ring there was. I was pretty skeptical before I bought the pellet smoker, and got a little worried when I noticed the cyclical smoke from the stack. It's just something I'll have to get used to, because the ribs came out perfect!

*I tried to upload a pic, but it's not working. I'll have to read more forums to see if I'm doing it wrong.*

TentHunter

*I tried to upload a pic, but it's not working. I'll have to read more forums to see if I'm doing it wrong.*

The "upload" option isn't working properly. The best thing to do is to upload your photos to a photo hosting site and embed them into the post using [img][/img] tags.

Top Bottom