Advice on Used 2 Star

Greg23

I’ve been using a Camp Chef for a couple years at really have enjoyed it, nothing bad to say about it except the build quality is obviously lacking. I would still call myself an enthusiastic amateur, and I usually pull out the Weber summit for weekday quick duty. I’ve been looking at upgrading my smoker to something mid range mostly stainless build like a Rec Tec or Grilla. But I recently ran across a 2015 Mak 2 Star General for $1250. Sounds like a pretty good price and I haven’t seen it in person but from the age photos and build quality it looks fine.

I have a couple questions, what do you think about the value of the last generation Mak? And second, do you have any advice on what to look for when buying a used one? I would take it through startup and make sure the auger works but seems like it would be hard to test the controller other than seeing that it starts normally.

I also probably have to sell my Weber Summit for the garage slot, because I don’t want to keep the Mak outside. How was the previous flame zone for direct grilling? I think I’ll miss it and my grill grates for things like fajitas with a pile of peppers and onions.

Any advice?

jimsbarbecue

Good price. All MAK grills are upgradable..that said we have a early models that we have upgraded over the years. If it was still exactly the way we purchased it from Big Poppa Smokers. It would be a great cooker. Upgrades just make them better and Big Poppa has them!

TentHunter

1) You can still use your grill grates in the MAK (provided they fit).

2) That seems like a decent price, but I'll bet you can get it for a little less, which might leave some room for you to upgrade to the newest FlameZone.

mcschlotz

Cliff, didn't I read somewhere that the newer internal FlameZone upgrade only fits 2016 and newer MAK 2 Stars? Or was that in reference to the MAK 1 Star?

Matt

Last edited:

Josh@MAK

Hi Matt,

The newest FlameZone fits ALL Two-Star Generals, and One-Star Generals after Serial #1092.

Last edited:

TentHunter

Cliff, didn't I read somewhere that the newer internal FlameZone upgrade only fits 2016 and newer MAK 2 Stars? Or was that in reference to the MAK 1 Star?

Matt

Yes, as Josh said it will fit all 2 Stars, and the newer 1 Stars which have the same size cook chamber as the 2 Stars (which started with 2016 models).

I remember because when I got the last 1 Star, I came this → ← close to snagging one of those few 2016 models they had left in inventory, so I could upgrade to the new FlameZone. But in the end we opted to go with the 2017 model which went back to the all black powder coat (which is a little easier to keep clean looking). :cool:

mcschlotz

Excellent! Guess memory is off cause I'm getting old but hey, still smokin' on the MAK!!!!

Last edited:

Greg23

I have another question about cleanup. Right now on each cook pretty much I throw a sheet of aluminum foil on my drip pan. It’s especially helpful when I’m costing something in BBQ sauce and getting all the burnt sugar dripping down. With the Mak perforated drip pan plus the covers it seems like you wouldn’t want to line that with foil for a messy cook. Is it a pain to clean up burnt sauce off of?

mcschlotz

On my older unit I purchased the separate solid drip pan which I used when only smoking. Rarely used the perforated pan. Cleaning the perforated pan didn't take much effort but that might be because I'm not a perfectionist. Just put it over on the gas grill turned up on high for 30-40 mins. That was good enough for me.

turbov6camaro

1. I tried the foil, hated it, I use the top self 90% of the time and put a pan under it
2. even if i don't, like yesterday smoked 2 chickens, 1 rack ribs, full slab salmon, 1 pork butt, and brisket. all at the same time, so i had to use the bottom shelf. it was nasty this morning, so i put cheap "oak" pellets in (for the heat) set the grill on High, and let it burn until the pellets are gone. This is like the self clean on your indoor oven. and everything just rubs off when it is done. I doo this a few times a year for a full cleaning. (well it still burning now at 495 lol)
3. do not use the perfect mix pellets..... ugh
4. clean up is easy once you take the grill apart 2 times I can break it down in like 2 minutes now

5. i wish they had the easy pot empty like some other brands only really needed it 2 times but both times i had the grill full of food.

6. dont worry about it outside, just put a mak cover on it :)

if it works, fine, I would update the firmware, buy any accessorys you want/need. the only upgrade as far you cannot do is the 2019 extra grill grates areas. (the 2019 has 2 added slot for grates they are welded on the frame.)

Top Bottom