Foil Pan, Friend or Foe?

MrPizzle

So I’m breaking in my new pellet smoker and I decided to make a pork butt, not wanting to dirty up my new rig I decided to smoke the pork in a foil pan. It seems to take quite a bit longer to get up to temps vs laying on the grate or am I crazy? Do you guys find this to be the case?
Thanks,
Mike

Salmonsmoker

The foil pan can shield the pork butt from the heat, making it longer to get up to temp. A lot of us put the meat on the upper rack and the foil pan underneath on the bottom rack. Heat can circulate all around whatever you're cooking. Same principle with roasting a turkey in a roasting pan. If you can get the bottom of the turkey above the rim of the pan you'll get a more uniform cook.

sschorr

The foil pan can shield the pork butt from the heat, making it longer to get up to temp. A lot of us put the meat on the upper rack and the foil pan underneath on the bottom rack. Heat can circulate all around whatever you're cooking. Same principle with roasting a turkey in a roasting pan. If you can get the bottom of the turkey above the rim of the pan you'll get a more uniform cook.

+1. I always use either the upper rack or a rack on top of the foil pan.

MrPizzle

Thank you for the reply, I’m not sure why I didn’t think about how it would alter the cook time. Just assumed it would be fine since I’ve seen it on shows like BBQ Pittmasters. Now I know for next time I suppose. Thanks again, I appreciate it.

Top Bottom