propane fueled pellet smoker
Drum Smoking Big Poppa Smokers
The Best Grills and Smokers
Need Pellets?
propane fueled pellet smoker
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: propane fueled pellet smoker

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    3

    propane fueled pellet smoker

    Hi, I am trying to find out if anyone makes a propane fueled pellet smoker, or hopper as opposed to electric.

  2. #2
    Moderator TentHunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NE Ohio, USA
    Posts
    5,611
    I haven't seen any propane fueled pellet smokers, and I'm not sure that it would make much sense.

    1) You need electricity to power the controller (which regulates the pellet feed rate), at the very minimum.

    2) The pellets themselves are the cooking fuel, so propane would be redundant/unnecessary.


    If you are concerned with having electricity available for competitions, then a generator, or a battery bank and good quality inverter are options.

    There are also a few options out there that will use 12 volt power for portability. I know someone with a GMG Davy Crockett and he powers it with a 12 volt portable power pack. I'm not sure if Big Poppa Smokers still sells this model or not.
    Last edited by TentHunter; 07-30-2016 at 09:31 AM.
    <><
    MAK 1 Star General #651 - 2014 Model
    former owner - MAK 1 Star General #171
    22.5" Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill attachment
    27 + year old 22.5" Weber Kettle (still works fine)
    Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker - used mainly for cold smoking.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    3

    Propane fuel

    Quote Originally Posted by mike View Post
    Hi, I am trying to find out if anyone makes a propane fueled pellet smoker, or hopper as opposed to electric.
    Thanks for the reply. Yea, I am looking for portability while still smoking; I like to move with the shade. I am also concerned about power outages and I don't want five different cookers. I will try the portable power pack. Maybe it will work.
    Thanks again.

  4. #4
    Moderator scooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    3,350
    Forget the propane fueled pellet cooker. Everything about a pellet cooker requires electricity. Like Cliff has advised your best option is a large battery and a converter, or, have a drum cooker around for when the electricity fails. BP sells the best drum kit out there. I have two and they've earned their place on my back deck (Actually one of them is on my Mom's back deck for when I cook for the family over there). I wouldn't cook a tritip in anything else but my drum!! Having a pellet cooker and a drum is the best of both worlds (electric powered BBQ and non-electric powered BBQ), IMO.
    - MAK owner for life! -
    2015 2 Star General prototype #0 with WiFi and beta FlashFire™ Ignition System
    2009 2 Star General #28
    2 BPS Engineered Drum Smokers, steel & stainless steel
    Smokin' Yankee's Competition BBQ Team
    CBBQA
    KCBS - MCBJ, CTC


  5. #5
    Senior Member TrickyDick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    555
    There is the portable GMG grill Davy Crockett I believe. Runs on a cigarette lighter, but it's small. Probably could operate on a 100 watt solar panel for startup, after than current draw is low.

    TD.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    3

    propane

    Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    Forget the propane fueled pellet cooker. Everything about a pellet cooker requires electricity. Like Cliff has advised your best option is a large battery and a converter, or, have a drum cooker around for when the electricity fails. BP sells the best drum kit out there. I have two and they've earned their place on my back deck (Actually one of them is on my Mom's back deck for when I cook for the family over there). I wouldn't cook a tritip in anything else but my drum!! Having a pellet cooker and a drum is the best of both worlds (electric powered BBQ and non-electric powered BBQ), IMO.
    Thanks. I a, now trying to figure out the battery info and an inverter that is powerful enough.

  7. #7
    Moderator TentHunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NE Ohio, USA
    Posts
    5,611
    Quote Originally Posted by mike View Post
    Thanks. I a, now trying to figure out the battery info and an inverter that is powerful enough.
    I will tell you from experience, when it comes to an inverter to run sensitive electronics, DO NOT go cheap!

    Here's the setup I use when I need portability: Samlex 600 Watt Power Inverter

    It works flawlessly and is in a fairly decent price range.
    <><
    MAK 1 Star General #651 - 2014 Model
    former owner - MAK 1 Star General #171
    22.5" Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill attachment
    27 + year old 22.5" Weber Kettle (still works fine)
    Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker - used mainly for cold smoking.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •