Looking For Some Suggestions

ACW3

Hey Pellet Smokers,

I am looking for some sausage ideas (hint, hint, NEPAS). I picked up 5 3/4 pounds of ground oryx meat this evening from a fellow hunter. I would like to make some type of sausage with it. The meat is supposed to be milder than elk or beef. I am totally open to trying something new. Suggestions, anyone?

Art

nepas

Thats cool.

I sure would like to get my + hairs on on of them bad boys.

What kind of sausage you want to make?

ACW3

Not too sure. I have made some fresh sausages (spicey garlic pork sausage and a South African boerwurst) as well as a few smoked sausages (elk/Russina boar summer sausage, several flavors of meat sticks, etc.) that turned out pretty good. After I add some ground pork, I figure I will have about 10 pounds of sausage when I am done. Nothing too spicey. I will be returning some of the sausage to the guy who gave me the meat and he can't eat real spicey foods. He does, however, want me to go with him back to Texas to hunt some exotics and be able to try other meat sausages. If I must... I'm not set up to do any of your landjaeger. I have a small wine cellar that is temperature and humidity controlled, but I don't know if this would work for making LJ.

Art

nepas

Not too sure. I have made some fresh sausages (spicey garlic pork sausage and a South African boerwurst) as well as a few smoked sausages (elk/Russina boar summer sausage, several flavors of meat sticks, etc.) that turned out pretty good. After I add some ground pork, I figure I will have about 10 pounds of sausage when I am done. Nothing too spicey. I will be returning some of the sausage to the guy who gave me the meat and he can't eat real spicey foods. He does, however, want me to go with him back to Texas to hunt some exotics and be able to try other meat sausages. If I must... I'm not set up to do any of your landjaeger. I have a small wine cellar that is temperature and humidity controlled, but I don't know if this would work for making LJ.

Art

Fresh or smoked?

nepas

Sweet Italian Fresh or smoked

7 lbs meat (beef or game)
1 1/2 lbs. lean pork butt
1 1/2 lbs. pork fat
Or 3 lbs. of Ground Pork Butt
4 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons paprika
3 tablespoons fennel seed
2 tablespoons anise seed
1 teaspoon white pepper, ground
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon red chili peppers ground (can use 1/2 tsp)
1/2 cup cold water
1/2 cup non-fat-dry milk
33-36MM hog casings

If you decide to smoke this add 2 level teaspoons
curing to the meat.

Mix all the dry with the water, then mix into meat. Cut everything in half if you just want 5 lbs.

I found MAK smoking that if you have the rib rack, just put frogmats on it and it will keep the sausage up. Boss on smoke setting sausage IT 149-152

ACW3

Cowgirl,
Thank you for the link. It looks like I will be spending some time reading through that list of sausages. Today is a good day, too. It's rainy outside and I am not overally busy, except on the computer.

Art

Last edited:

ACW3

Rick,
Have you got a good recipe for slim jims (that you will share)? I am leaning in that direction right now.

Art

Top Bottom