Tonight Best in Smoke on Food network

Big Poppa

Administrator
Anther BBQ show hits the airwaves and Im happy. It is very trendy to criticize them but hey1....it is tv smoking and is good for our hobby....

after it airs I would be interested in your comments!

Thom Emery

Posted by John Markus on May 08, 2011 at 04:26:02: On the BBQ Forum
During the past six years, I've produced four different BBQ competition shows on cable. OLN, VS, and TLC. But on May 28th at 2pm, we're launching a pure BBQ comp. on broadcast television-CBS SPORTS- and early estimates tell us the viewership could be the single largest TV audience ever to watch a strict competition BBQ show. CBS and Kingsford gave us total freedom here. For me, this represents a return to what I love about my first shows: straight BBQ categories, NO STUNTS, a legitimate judging panel (Master Judge Mike Lake for God's sakes!), and proven Pitmasters with their smokers, bantering with each other. Having just screened the premiere's rough cut, I can say it's our liveliest, most authentic show to date. And what's even better, I KNOW I'll be getting to hear what y'all think! So, tonight on FoodTV, enjoy that tofu-chasing smoke-a-rama in Brooklyn's Amazing Race/BBQ premiere. But be with us and CBS Sports May 28th.... JM, Exec. Producer

sparky

i'll be in bed at 7 pm. got an early shift. i wish i could see it though. 10 pm here. i never make it past 9 though.

KimG SOW

We won't be watching it.... we don't have cable. Have to wait to watch it at someone's house who will DVR it.

CarterQ

Just watched it and really like it, loved the creativity and group of cooks. You have guys like Famous Dave and Chris Lilly who have nothing to prove along with some folks who are looking at smoking through a non traditional set of eyes. Great judges as well. The thing I like most is it breaks from focusing on the traditional competition meats and looks at a very broad spectrum of styles and foods. More representative of the whole realm of smoke cooking than other shows have done in the past.

Patrick_CT

We watched it last night also... It is pretty good challenges. I was surprised that they stumbled as much as they did. Gives you more confidence as a backyard cook! :)

Big Poppa

Administrator
Marcus ripping this show disapoints me. OI watched it and these guys did a better show than pitmasters 2.

Patrick as someone who was on pitmasters 2 realize that they shoot tons of footage searching for faux drama. There are moments of terror with more moments of standing around. Its reality tv and they could edit it as a well oiled machine orsemi chaotic.....

It is funny that on other forums this show is not getting bashed....not near as much as pitmasters 2 and there was only half what I would consider BBQ.

I love seeing the people that I know on TV in the hot seat. I love that the NEw Yorker cooked on a Meadow Creek.

bbqslayer

I don't think the NY guy would do well on a pellet grill BP. Did you see that amount of charcoal he had burrning and the flames off of it? WOW that was grilling!

Big Poppa

Administrator
That was a really great example of how versitile the Meadow Creek Pig Roaster is It is a 12 hour smoker on two bags and a nitro grill...

Buffalotom

I did like the show. I would have liked to see what they were all using to smoke with. The only ones I could identify was the Big Green Eggs and the truck smoker. What were the other guys? I love BBQ shows. I learn something each time.

HogSmoker

I also watched Big Dave from KC lost then was given another chance. Figure all that was staged except for the storm that blew in :).

Big Poppa

Administrator
The guy from new york used a Meadow Creek and Chris Lilly used a Komodo Kamado (I have two of those) and I cant remember the rotesserie ones he uses It will come back to me soon they are out of business.

Carter13

I think the winner should get to pick their meat first like they are letting and then have everyone else pick numbers or straws.
I am concerned Dave is going to pull a hammi sprinting to the meat locker.
I liked the show and there were some good lookin eats.

firehouse_bbq

The NY guy grilling on his Meadowcreek PR60 opened up a whole new world for me. That Meadowcreek is one versatile cooker! Thanks again BP for the recommendation.

Rip

Just caught the show from a rerun last night. I thought it was pretty entertaining, perhaps a tad overly dramatic, but fun to watch guys like Chris Lilly in action.

Trooper

I do not like the show.
I would like to see all of the participants cooking the same kind of food for presentation to the "judges"
I would like to see blind judging.
The "judges" are so condesending they make me ill.
It's very typical for what's on TV right now. Somebody does something, dances, sings, makes a cake, or whatever, and then we have the great analysis by a three person tribunal.
I kinda wanted Dave to win, beacuse he was committing the winnings to charity.
Producers need to consult with genuine BBQ pros, like BP, & even some backyard BBQers before putting a show together.
The Administrators, moderators, and writers of this forum could put together a FAR BETTER and entertaining BBQ show.

Bear

I'm with Trooper. I watch just because it's cooking with smoke. But I wouldn't miss it if it went away.

Definitely not what I wood like to see in a BBQ show.

Top Bottom