How to Trim St. Louis Style Spare Ribs

TentHunter

This post was inspired by a fellow forum member; Thanks Duke!

Trimming spare ribs to a St. Louis cut can seem difficult, but it's really quite simple if you keep it that way. There's NO need for special skills or bone cutting equipment!

What you need: A good sharp Chef or Boning knife, some paper towels & a clean cutting surface.
RIBTRIM1.JPG

Here's a typical whole rack of spareribs.
RIBTRIM2.JPG

Start by trimming off the Skirt Flap. Don't throw it away; use it for stir fry or put in on with the ribs as a snack (trim off the silver skin).
RIBTRIM3.JPG

Trim along the black or red lines Whichever you prefer. The Black line follows the bone tips and will make it look more like Baby (loin) Back Ribs.
RIBTRIM4.JPG

The bone here is cartilage-like and not hard to cut through. Don't worry about cutting through in one pass.
RIBTRIM5.JPG

You can separate the breast bone from the rib tips if you like and cook them up as well.
RIBTRIM6.JPG

Trim up the end of the rack or leave it alone whichever you prefer (more stir fry meat).
RIBTRIM7.JPG

The dreaded membrane. I like to start up at the corner by the meat because its easy to slip your finger under it there. Work it loose and use a paper towel to grab it & slowly work & pull it loose.
RIBTRIM8.JPG

All that's left is to flip the rack over and trim any excess fat as you see fit.
RIBTRIM9.JPG

Thanks! :)

Cliff

Last edited:

TentHunter

I want to say thanks to everyone for the kind comments in the original thread. You guys are always an inspiration!

mmmarvel

Wonderful pictures, I still have problems/issues dealing with the 'membrane' - never sure if I got it all, too much, not enough. Question - any idea why the butchers leave it on there? Does it hold the ribs together better while handling or something? Anyone ever ask/have the butcher take the membrane off at the market? Do they, will they do that for you?

TTNuge

Wonderful pictures, I still have problems/issues dealing with the 'membrane' - never sure if I got it all, too much, not enough. Question - any idea why the butchers leave it on there? Does it hold the ribs together better while handling or something? Anyone ever ask/have the butcher take the membrane off at the market? Do they, will they do that for you?

It's just as much a pain for them to remove as it is for you, except you are only removing the membrane for 1 or 2 racks at a time and they are selling ribs by the case. If you have a good relationship with a good butcher you could probably convince him to take the membrane off for you.

Top Bottom