Hickory Smoked Pork Tri-Tip Sirloin Roast

smoker pete

No, there is no TYPO!! You read correctly ... It's a Pork Tri-Tip and not a Beef Tri-Tip. I know you're skeptical but then so was I when I first noticed this 1¾ lb Pork Shoulder Tri-Tip Boneless Roast. At least that's what SaveMart stores located mostly in Central/Northern California call this roast. I never would have looked and found this Pork Tri-Tip if Beef Tri-Tip wasn't priced at $7 /lb !! Insane ... Beef Tri-Tip right now is the same price as a NY Steak. It's not like I'm back East where most have never heard of a Tri-Tip. This is Central California ... The birthplace of Tri-Tips.

Spoke with the meat department and yes, it's a cut that has been around for quite a while. I was thinking they might be capitalizing on the "Tri-Tip" name until I did a google search. At $2.99/lb vs $6.99/lb it was worth a try and I learned something new. It is rather lean compared to a shoulder and many say it's pretty much tasteless but then they probably haven't smoked one low-and-slow.

Rubbed the Pork Tri-Tip Sirloin Roast with Annie's Roasted Garlic EVOO and Fagundes Seasoning. Normally I might have thrown it into the fridge overnight but I had to fix something for dinner and didn't have that luxury.

MAKPorkTriTip1.jpg

Preheated the MAK 2 Star to 250ºF with Hickory. Note how this cut has a pronounced resemblance to a Beef Tri-Tip and is exceptionally lean compared to a Pork Shoulder (Butt). Kept the temperature at 250ºF for the entire cook since I had no idea how this Pork Tri-Tip was going to behave. Took 3 hours at 250ºF to reach an Internal Temperature of 160ºF.

MAKPorkTriTip3.jpg

I'm still a traditionalist and find 160ºF to be a good temperature to take Pork to. Others may choose to pull it earlier but that just won't do in this household. Everyone to his/her own! Pork Tri-Tip Roast thinly sliced and ready to serve.

MAKPorkTriTip6.jpg

The simple Summer meal money $shot ... A few slices of Pork Tri-Tip Sirloin Roast and some Corn on the Cob ... I could make a meal of the corn alone. I was pleasantly surprised at how flavorful, tender, and moist the roast turned out!! We could have easily added some beans, rice, or potatoes to this meal but it didn't appear to need it. Besides, leaves more room for the Frozen Yogurt Dessert.

MAKPorkTriTip7.jpg

With the price of everything going up, up, and away I will be searching for more bargain cuts of meats no matter how exotic and/or strange their names might be. I will definitely be doing Pork Tri-Tip Sirloin Roasts again.

RGrunz

That's a great looking cook..... I like the size of it, enough for dinner and just enough leftover for next day.... I am going to look for one. Thanks for the great post.

TentHunter

Sounds like they're capitalizing on Tri-tip's popularity.

And wow, Pete did you ever make it look tasty and juicy! :cool:

CarterQ

Nice looking pork Pete, I get those at Save Mart from time to time as well, it is a nice lean cut and pretty versatile.

Top Bottom