Big Poppa's MAK Smoked Jalapeno Scalloped Taters

Big Poppa

Administrator
Here is a neat dish...the measurements and quantities are based on a large catering pan please adjust to size
Here are the players
IMG_0478-1.jpg

Two sweet onions Chopped
Three Red Peppers diced
6 Jalapenos sliced and cored and diced
Big Poppas Jalalujah Maple Bacon Jalapeno Rub give a light coating
8 cloves of garlic through a press
Saute until translucent and then add 2 cups of Heavy cream and one cup of milk (can be 2%)
IMG_0479-1.jpg

preheat your smoker to 400-425
When simmering and close to boil remove from heat
IMG_0480-1.jpg

Slice enough potatoes to layer the pan at least three times I used yukon Gold but actually prefer russet.
Grate 1.5 pounds of Jack Cheese and about .75 of good sharp cheddar
one container of shaved Parmesean Mix all the cheese together
Put a ladle of the cream veggie sauce on the bottom of the pan and start layering...taters cheese sauce until you get to the top dust with some more Big Poppa's Jalalujah
IMG_0484.jpg

Put in smoker for 1hour 15mins covered and then half hour uncovered. You can check doneness when you uncover...you cook uncovered to basically tighten up the deal and brown the cheese.
IMG_0586-1.jpg

IMG_9541.jpg

Basic tip for the jalapenos...this dish is not hot at all....zip its because of how I clean seed and de vein the jalapeno...if you want it hotter then leave the white ribs and a few seeds....

Last edited by a moderator:

Zephyr

Poppa, I love scallop potatoes, those look killer. Lookin so, Gu,ooo,oood! :p :p Smoke On!

........................... ZEP

scooter

I can tell you that they are fantastic! Thank you for posting this. I'm thinking pepper jack cheese might replace some or all of the regular jack when I make it. :)

Big Poppa

Administrator
yeah the great part is that as long as you have the cream mixture the palate is wide open for creativity....use caution to not put too much cream in....the cheese releases fats and adds to the juices.

Big Poppa

Administrator
OK here is a simpler version...
Preheat the smoker to 400
Dice 4 jalapenos one red bell pepper and dice one onion sautee until translucent
IMG_0581.jpg

Mix one cup 1/2 and 1/2 and 1 cup heavy cream
add to the sauteed veggies season with BP's jalalujah with maple and bacon
IMG_0582.jpg

peela nd thinly slice 4 large russet potatos layer sauce taters mexican cheese sauce taters mexican cheese several times
IMG_0583.jpg

when the pans full toss some parmesan cheese
IMG_0584-1.jpg

cover with foil and put in smoker on shelf....cook for 75 minutes covered...uncover and cook for 30 more minutes or when top is golden and the cheese is sizzling
IMG_0586-1.jpg

IMG_0589.jpg

booboo

I made these last night but used my oven not the smoker. The oven was at 400 degrees and I cooked them for 2 hours and the potatoes were still not soft. Any ideas why?

Top Bottom