Did a wood fired Pizza the other night

mpmontero

Rosemary pizza dough from Fresh & Easy
Olive oil, grated mozzarella, Uncured pepperoni, some fresh buffalo mozzarella and then some more grated mozzarella.
Sprinkled with some oregano and basil
Got my smoker up to about 700 degrees and tossed it on for about 10 minutes.
Crust was perfectly soft inside, the pepperoni had a nice bit of char on the edges and the cheese was brown and bubbly.

1gCdozr.jpg

j72aJBk.jpg

TrickyDick

That looks fantastic. Do you have a good dough recipe that you would like to share with us?

After much experimentation over the last 18 months or so, I have what I think is an ideal New York style pizza dough recipe. It seems to work best when cooked at 600-700 degrees. Above 725 it is probably not the best dough, but I suspect that's not a big issue for most.

For flour, I prefer all trumps, which I buy in 50# sacks (well so far just one sack) and store in homer buckets ( I know they aren't food grade, but it wash them first, and they don't have any smell). I also get the lids. You could also use all purpose flour or bread flour. I like the King Arthur bread flour as a second favorite flour.

You'll need a digital scale and put away your measuring cups. The scale should be accurate to the tenth of a gram. You can buy one on amazon for about $20. You should probably have another scale for larger quantities, and the precision $20 scale that I use can't do over 1 kg

Anyway, once you have that, head on over to pizzamaking.com. The front page has some links. Look for pizza tools or dough tools, I forget. Then pick the Lehman Pizza calculator. Enter your desired size and number of pizzas, thickness factor, etc. it'll literally walk you through with suggested ranges. I usually do 3x14" dough balls and make that twice, since my mixer cannot handle more than this. I have found this recipe to be foolproof. When it's really hot and humid or cold and dry, I tweak the % hydration a bit, more when its dry, less when its humid.

TD

mpmontero

Thanks for the info!
Also, I couldn't agree more, regarding the scale vs. Measuring cups. Cups measure volume and scales measure exact weight.

Top Bottom